PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring has arrived! Laundry out on the line :)

Options
13»

Comments

• Bonglecat
    Bonglecat Posts: 220 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had my first line of washing out this year as well, but I had another difficulty. We had a new pond put in the garden over winter (DH is a Koi keeper) and it meant I thought taking my rotary line down including the base, so I was waiting for DH to re-dig the base into the lawn.
    Imagine my chagrin when I went out on Friday and discovered the base was actually still in the lawn all they had done was take the bottom of the pole out, so I slid it back in hammered it down and there you are Bob's your Uncle 2 minutes and line back in action. :rotfl:
    My Debt Free Diary LBM March 2010
    M&S Credit Card £0
    £2 Coin pot Holiday Savings £76
    [STRIKE]Debt Free by Christmas 2016 No 131 £9155.73/£9155.73 100%[/STRIKE] COMPLETELY DEBT FREE 20th DECEMBER 2016 :j
    Goals for 2017 Emergency Saving fund £2000.12p/£5000 :o
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had laundry out a few times already, bedding hung out today and despite 2 downpours it is just slightly damp due to the wind. Duvet cover now in tumble dryer,next will be sheet and pillowcases and then straight back on the bed.

I love drying outside, west facing garden but is like a suntrap, i hang washing out at 6.30am before I leave for work.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I managed to get one load very nearly dry before the rain hit.

Some towels and they smell lovely.

I still need to get the rest done - but it will have to be dried on the rads.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,002 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 March 2016 at 6:52PM
    Options
    kippers wrote: »
    I read on here once that if your path is drying in your garden then your washing will dry too and because of this I manage to hang my washing out all winter using this philosophy ....in winter it obviously doesn't dry completely but I don't need to tumble dry it for so long afterwards or I can get away with finishing it on the radiators

Thats what I judge it by too.. even if it only dries a little it still smells so much nicer for having been outsides! and the windier the better! .. aside from hurricanes obviously ;) there is supposed to be a monster storm hitting the south this week.. I have considered one of these..

https://traffordecohouse.wordpress.com/category/peak-oil/preparations/housework/

4 loads washed and dried and folded to go away today.. Bedding is next on my hit list starting with the stinky boy beds!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Thats what I judge it by too.. even if it only dries a little it still smells so much nicer for having been outsides! and the windier the better! .. aside from hurricanes obviously ;) there is supposed to be a monster storm hitting the south this week.. I have considered one of these..

https://traffordecohouse.wordpress.com/category/peak-oil/preparations/housework/

4 loads washed and dried and folded to go away today.. Bedding is next on my hit list starting with the stinky boy beds!!

I have one of these pigpen. It is wonderful :D
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,002 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Does the washing actually dry Spring? I was looking at one but I couldnt see how it wuld work.. it would alleviate the need to ring home and squawk at someone to bring it in.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    edited 27 March 2016 at 8:56PM
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Does the washing actually dry Spring? I was looking at one but I couldnt see how it wuld work.. it would alleviate the need to ring home and squawk at someone to bring it in.

Yes it does. The top umbrella part is tarp type material. However, the sides are netting. The breeze simply blows through the netting. The top of the tarp has air vents, so any moisture can simply rise and evaporate.

The first one I bought I made the mistake of not also buying the storage cover, and like a lazy moo, simply left the wash line and cover up all the time, even when there was no washing on it. The cover will take a bit of a beating from the elements if you don't treat it nicely. You need to put the line and cover down, and cover them up with the storage cover, when they are not in use.

I am also a fairly tall person, so bought the extension pole to make the whirly line higher when I bought my replacement cover.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family