Anger after Thorpe Park 12p ticket gaffe

Options
Anger after Thorpe Park 12p ticket gaffe...
Read the full story:
'Anger after Thorpe Park 12p ticket gaffe'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• matsam01
    Options
    I tried today at 0959 to find the tickets already sold out! Written an email as I'm very dissapointed in how this was handled. Tickets won before before 10am shouldn't be allowed. This is not fair.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How pathetic, have people really got nothing better to get angry about?
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    matsam01 wrote: »
    I tried today at 0959 to find the tickets already sold out! Written an email as I'm very dissapointed in how this was handled. Tickets won before before 10am shouldn't be allowed. This is not fair.

If you'd got a pair at 9.59 you would have been before 10am also?

I'm with Keep pedalling, this is a complete overreaction. Lots of people got a bargain, that sounds like a good thing to me.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got mine at 9:56am so I must have been one of the first!. But I think the only reason I managed to get them was because nobody was expecting them so early!.

But I wouldn't have complained if I missed it like other people are. A local attraction did 11p tickets a few weeks ago. I tried to get on the website from 5 minutes before until a few minutrs after the release time and then an hour after but it wouldn't even load!. But it didn't bother me because I always knew only a few people would get them.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Even if it had opened exactly on time there is no guarantee that those who missed out would have got a ticket anyway.
  • Counterpoise
    Options
    Thorpe Park can perfectly well afford to rerun this with a further 1871 12p tickets. (Should be 5p=1/- surely??) As things stand they have thousands of potential customers who are very annoyed and angry. Not the best PR move, you would have thought... Of course any time we enter a lottery we know we might not win, if it's a free lottery we really don't mind not winning, but we really do mind seeing that the lottery wasn't run fairly. Still, I guess that Merlin aren't a company who have a PR rebuilding job to do at present, are they?... Apologies for the poor taste, but if they don't do a second run, this really isn't going to help their image at all.

Just to make it extra annoying I was trying with Chrome on Windows 7 and every time I tried it went from the "enter promotional code" page to a page with that area completely blank. I kept reloading and retrying from a few seconds before 10 till about quarter past (in case they started late...) till I finally tried on my old XP PC and saw the "sold out" message. All very well having extra bandwidth if your code isn't written properly in the first place! (My fault I guess for using such an unusual and bizarre system / browser combination :()
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,182 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let's be honest if the site didn't have it's technical issue before 10am, the site would have crashed at 10am due to too many visitors and you would miss out and still complain.
  • GraceCourt
    GraceCourt Posts: 317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised that no-one has stated the obvious here.

The entrance fee is only a very, VERY small part of the income stream for the operator. I've been to Thorpe Park, and whilst the rides are "free", the cost of the food concessions and "amusements" is astronomical, so much so that on subsequent visits we took a substantial packed lunch.

There are many areas in the park where you can enjoy your packed lunch (not least because you avoid the long queues for something to eat!) and plenty of litter bins for the wrappers, etc.

Of course, I also ought to add that we stopped going completely when the tickets became outrageously expensive...!
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GraceCourt wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no-one has stated the obvious here.

The entrance fee is only a very, VERY small part of the income stream for the operator. I've been to Thorpe Park, and whilst the rides are "free", the cost of the food concessions and "amusements" is astronomical, so much so that on subsequent visits we took a substantial packed lunch.

There are many areas in the park where you can enjoy your packed lunch (not least because you avoid the long queues for something to eat!) and plenty of litter bins for the wrappers, etc.

Of course, I also ought to add that we stopped going completely when the tickets became outrageously expensive...!

I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion about them releasing the tickets early?.

But I disagree with that because how many people do you know who spend more in a park than the price of the tickets?. I've certainly never spent more in a park than the price of the tickets. Even though the prices are high in the park I would still say it's atleast 50% of the value of purchases on the park.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thorpe Park can perfectly well afford to rerun this with a further 1871 12p tickets. (Should be 5p=1/- surely??) As things stand they have thousands of potential customers who are very annoyed and angry. Not the best PR move, you would have thought... Of course any time we enter a lottery we know we might not win, if it's a free lottery we really don't mind not winning, but we really do mind seeing that the lottery wasn't run fairly. Still, I guess that Merlin aren't a company who have a PR rebuilding job to do at present, are they?... Apologies for the poor taste, but if they don't do a second run, this really isn't going to help their image at all.

Just to make it extra annoying I was trying with Chrome on Windows 7 and every time I tried it went from the "enter promotional code" page to a page with that area completely blank. I kept reloading and retrying from a few seconds before 10 till about quarter past (in case they started late...) till I finally tried on my old XP PC and saw the "sold out" message. All very well having extra bandwidth if your code isn't written properly in the first place! (My fault I guess for using such an unusual and bizarre system / browser combination :()

It definitely wasnt a lottery and was always stated to be first come first served. So the first people on the site got the tickets which is exactly what they said would happen.
    If they wanted it to be fair then they would have collected everyones details and randomly selected people to get the tickets (which would be a lottery). But then that wouldn't be as fun!.
    Plus I wouldn't say the fault was due to a Chrome and Windows 7 combination. It was probably specific to the computer that you were using. This is backup up by the fact it worked on an old XP pc and likely older browser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure