Esa permitted work

Options
I am in receipt of ESA and started doing permitted work in July last year. My advisor at the job centre told me that in July 2016 if I have been managing the work I would have to increase my hours and earnings and come off ESA or continue with my claim and stop working if I am not coping.

I have managed to do averaging 12 - 14 hrs a week and would like to continue but I don't feel I would cope with much more than 16 hrs and because it is self employment I can't guarantee to be able to increase what I earn that much in the short term.

In the meantime, I have just received an ESA claim form. I don't really want to have to claim ESA and was hoping for these last few months to continue with the permitted work so that I'm able to make a proper decision and would have completed my first year in self employment.
So my question is do I complete the ESA form despite hoping I won't really need to claim and may be found fit enough to work? And would there be any financial assistance if I were to continue to work part-time as I really don't think I am fit enough to work full time?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    You could potentially claim WTC on 16hrs but will depend on age, single/partner, disability etc.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am presuming that you are in the WRAG group and your permitted work will end after 52 weeks?

So your options are to continue claiming ESA (so completing the ESA reassessment form) or up your hours to 16+ per week and claim working tax credits instead.

Your decision really depends on two things.

Firstly, I note that you are self employed. Would you mind telling us what this self employment is and whether you believe that you are making (or are likely to in the next year or so) a living wage doing this work?

Although potentially you can claim tax credits when self employed, as Darksparkle says it will depend on your age, single/partner, disability (are you claiming DLA/PIP - which rates). To claim tax credits (if you are eligible) you are expected to have an income of at least national minimum wage (taking into account your hours) after expenses and perhaps allowing for less income during the first year of your business if it is a start up.

Plus, is your disability long term - what does your doctor say about working more hours?

So, my suggestion is to complete your ESA form and if you are placed back into the WRAG group then you can always come off ESA later if you can manage enough hours to claim tax credits.

Get some help to complete the form (CAB/welfare advisor).

Please answer the questions raised and we might have more suggestions.
  • Comp2
    Comp2 Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 25 March 2016 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am married, my husband is self employed but not currently earning enough for us to live off. He is working hard to change this but only set up in business a short time ago but his earnings are deducted from my ESA amount currently.

I am in the WRAG group. I have had health problems for many years. The main issue that prevents me working long hours currently is I suffer from chronic daily migraines. I can push on through for a period of time but reach a point where if I don't take to my bed and allow my tablets to work The vomiting starts and I'm in agony and unable to function. My gp is very supportive of helping me achieve my ambitions and manage my migraines.

I think it's definitely possible that I could make a living along with my husband within part time hours eventually. My skills are still developing but I have no doubt I can get there. (I'm being vague about what I do to protect my identity on the Internet)
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Oh forget to say no I don't claim DLA/PIP
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Comp2 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I am married, my husband is self employed but not currently earning enough for us to live off. He is working hard to change this but only set up in business a short time ago but his earnings are deducted from my ESA amount currently.

I am in the WRAG group. I have had health problems for many years. The main issue that prevents me working long hours currently is I suffer from chronic daily migraines. I can push on through for a period of time but reach a point where if I don't take to my bed and allow my tablets to work The vomiting starts and I'm in agony and unable to function. My gp is very supportive of helping me achieve my ambitions and manage my migraines.

I think it's definitely possible that I could make a living along with my husband within part time hours eventually. My skills are still developing but I have no doubt I can get there. (I'm being vague about what I do to protect my identity on the Internet)
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Oh forget to say no I don't claim DLA/PIP

So what, if anything, are you claiming at the moment?
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Please confirm.

Are you on contribution based ESA or income based ESA? Which group are you currently in? Has your partner been added to your claim?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    What age are you both?
    How many hours does he work?
    Any children?
  • Comp2
    Options
    WRAG, income based and yes he has been added to my claim I think
  • Comp2
    edited 25 March 2016 at 3:54PM
    Options
    Husband currently works 3 hrs a day. Claiming a small amount of ESA and housing. No kids living at home.
    Husband is 61, I am in my forties.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hubby can get working tax credits at 16 hours weekly if that helps?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why is he working 3 hours a day only? Stating a business in your 60s and only putting a few hours a day is unlikely to support a growing business.

You do need to consider you coming off ESA. If you do, you both will have to work a total 30 hours to be eligible for tax credits. You will also become open to scrutiny as to whether you business meet the terms of claim for tax credits, which after a year in business will be that your OH earns at least minimum wage.

Are you both working on the same business or is it different ones?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure