Mirena Coil - after effects

Options
Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone else could shed some light on their own experiences.

I had the coil fitted on the Wednesday, and got my usual period on the Monday - that was over 3 weeks ago.... and it goes on and on.

Will I ever be normal again?
Is this normal?
Will it balance out?

Any info please
Regards
[B[/B]

Comments

• fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Had my 1st mirena fitted and voila no more periods (and mine were a nightmare) on my 2nd now and couldn't be happier.

At my surgery i was asked to go for a post fitting check up 4 weeks later with the nurse suggest you do the same.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi I had mine put in about 6 months ago. I do remember at the time after a couple of days I bled for a couple of weeks after it and I remember thinking I wonder when this is going to stop.

I just get a tiny bleed now every month, just like a staining really. No other issues.
  • helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Took ages for me to settle, but it turned out I had other gynae issues. Suggest if it does not settle have an ultrasound to check it is in the right place.
    One thing I can say categorically is it made me gain weight- this is a commonly noted side effect: although apparently not proven in clinical trials.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I had mine fitted at end of my period so lining had no time to build up again and spotted for about a week.

If you are still bleeding heavily (more than a pad/tampon every couple of hours then I'd get yourself checked. If it's lighter than that, could just be your body adjusting. My doctor did warn me when fitting that some people do get light bleeding for several weeks after insertion.

This is my fourth though and the other three turned my periods off completely and didn't cause me to put on weight so I like them as a form of contraception. Not everyone gets on with them though.
  • vodkachick68
    Options
    I can recall bleeding for a few weeks after having it put in but it soon settled down. My periods have been very light until recently. Ive had mine in for nearly 5 years and my periods are lasting 2 weeks or more. Could this be because I need to have another one fitted?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I can recall bleeding for a few weeks after having it put in but it soon settled down. My periods have been very light until recently. Ive had mine in for nearly 5 years and my periods are lasting 2 weeks or more. Could this be because I need to have another one fitted?

That's how I knew mine needed replacing. But you should check with your doctor or family planning clinic, as we aren't supposed to give medical advice.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My cycle had dropped to a 21-24 day cycle with a week long extremely heavy period, a few days when I'm fine, then cramps, light bleeding and PMT symptoms for 7-10 days before the next period starts. I first noticed changes 2 years ago with minor spotting between periods but it's got heavier and more frequent and the cycle shorter as time has passed.

I've had a scan and there are no cysts, PCOS, endometreosis or anything like that.

The GP insisted I had the Mirena fitted which happened in February. I was on day 8 then and had just stopped bleeding, but insertion started the light bleeding off again. I bled right up until my period, which was lighter and more manageable than before so there is improvement there.

I still have the same symptoms though with the couple of days after a period where I feel fine, then the light bleeding, cramps and PMT comes back.

I've had my check up which was just the nurse ringing me up. She dismissed the symptoms and told me to wait until I've had it in for six months.

I'm just so fed up with bleeding all the time as I swim and run a lot so it's very inconvenient. Not to mention the cost of buying sanitary products and ibuprofen all the time.

I also have Crohn's Disease (bowel disease). I'm sure that is linked to female hormones as those symptoms get worse when I'm bleeding which is pretty much most of the time now. I'm going to mention that to my gastro consultant at my next appointment.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • shandyclover
    Options
    I was told to expect a settling down period of 3 - 6 mos, and to try to persevere. I did, and now I have maybe a day of spotting once a month. I had cysts and fibroids, so had them removed at the same time I was fitted with the mirena. After 8 mos of almost non stop bleeding, carrying sanitary stuff, and spare underwear everywhere I went, and the resultant severe anaemia, it seemed like heaven, and well worth it. I was also told to avoid ibruprophen as it causes heavier bleeding?
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just an update after five months of having Mirena.

There hasn't really been a reduction in the bleeding at all. I'm still spotting most of the time and my main period has moved closer together so I'm getting them every 16-18 days now which is worse than before.

I now have horrendously sore breasts, have crampy horrible pains most of the time especially in the left side of my abdomen, feel really run down, I'm getting horrific headaches, not sleeping well due to the pain and I feel nauseous most of the time. I haven't changed my diet or exercise levels but I've put on 1½ stone in weight which just won't shift at all.

I hate this thing but the GP won't take it out as I have to wait and see if things will settle. I'm really fed up with it :(
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    I hate this thing but the GP won't take it out as I have to wait and see if things will settle. I'm really fed up with it :(

Mrs G had similar problems. It was removed after three months, if that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure