IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Outstanding Parking Charges

Options
Good afternoon

I have read through the newbies threads and I want to just confirm my best course of action.

Today I have received a letter from my employer, I have been ticketed in a Napier car park for "Failure to display a valid pay and display ticket" whilst driving my company car. My employers are happy for me to fight the ticket as the “keeper”.

My car was observed by the attendant for a 5 min period before issue. The date and time on my valid pay and display ticket is right smack bang in the middle of the observation time. For example if the observation time was 13:45 to 13:50, my pay and display is 13:47. Returning to my vehicle later that day I have found the fixed charge ticket on the windscreen. My pay and display ticket was on the floor, completely my fault. However I would still like to query this as I have a valid pay and display ticket.

I have not responded to the windscreen notice as I read that will give me the least powers when fighting this ticket.

What is my best course of action. Shall I simply send them a copy of my valid ticket as a dispute now I have the NTK?

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2016 at 4:54PM
    Options
    Do I understand correctly, the time on your P&D tickets precedes the time on the windscreen screen ticket? How is it your fault that the P&D ticket ended up on the floor?

Napier will no doubt be reading this, so be careful what you say. Search this board for " Napier" and "de Savary" and study your opponents mo.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/napier-parking-issue-ticket-for-12.html
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • moneysaver223344
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for the advice "The Deep". Yes the pay and display ticket covers me. Example: Windscreen ticket issued at 13:50, my pay and display ticket is from 13:47 to 14:47.

Pay and display ticket on the floor of inside of car, therefore it's my fault.

Any further advice ladies and gents?[/FONT]
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously get your employer to give you up as the "keeper at the time".
  • The_Deep
    Options
    Pay and display ticket on the floor of inside of car, therefore it's my fault.

No necessarily. parking weasels have been known to rock cars until the ticket falls to the floor, and then ticket those cars, you are not dealing with John Lewis here you know.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3229165/Is-PROOF-private-parking-firms-scamming-motorists-Drivers-say-timings-photos-doctored-legally-parked-cars-issued-fines.html
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You say you have received a letter from your employer, what are your employers plans in dealing with this?
    Is this letter a copy that the employer has received, or is it something else such as an internal disciplinary letter, or just a letter informing you of what has happened?

Does your employer plan to pay this parking charge and then deduct it form your wages?

If you have a copy of the the letter from Napier, does this fully comply with the protection of freedoms act ( schedule 4)?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon

I have read through the newbies threads and I want to just confirm my best course of action.

Today I have received a letter from my employer, I have been ticketed in a Napier car park for "Failure to display a valid pay and display ticket" whilst driving my company car. My employers are happy for me to fight the ticket as the “keeper”.

My car was observed by the attendant for a 5 min period before issue. The date and time on my valid pay and display ticket is right smack bang in the middle of the observation time. For example if the observation time was 13:45 to 13:50, my pay and display is 13:47. Returning to my vehicle later that day I have found the fixed charge ticket on the windscreen. My pay and display ticket was on the floor, completely my fault. However I would still like to query this as I have a valid pay and display ticket.

I have not responded to the windscreen notice as I read that will give me the least powers when fighting this ticket.

What is my best course of action. Shall I simply send them a copy of my valid ticket as a dispute now I have the NTK?

You should appeal as keeper using the IPC template questionnaire in the NEWBIES thread exactly as it is, word for word.
    You could if you wish add a line to say the driver paid and displayed along with a copy of the ticket so Napier suffered no loss. Also mention that the fact the ticket fell on the floor is the fault of the parking company for not providing tickets that are fit for purpose.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    but you need to be very careful with this company, or you face a court case

and you wont get any help from the IAS either , so its likely that both appeals will fail , so bear in mind you have a tiger by the tail and should think very carefully about your next actions !! very carefully !!!!

the POPLA DECISIONS thread had a recent post about not parking on one of their car parks (Mead ?) , where I added a reply, suggest you read it
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2016 at 1:44AM
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for the advice "The Deep".
    Any further advice ladies and gents?[/FONT]

You need to amend all your posts above, which say far too much about who parked/drove/had a P&D ticket...that is, if you are a genuine appellant poster here and not a Napier plant (the latter sort of poster isn't welcome here). I'm only saying this because you seem strangely insistent that the driver was 'at fault' but how do you KNOW the parking employee didn't rock the car as scumbag clampers used to all the time?

What makes you think the parking firm are not at fault?

YOU MUST edit your posts to remove anything saying who parked. NOW.

I agree with Guy's Dad:
    Obviously get your employer to give you up as the "keeper at the time".

Only because that removes the employer's liability. However I don't think you will then get a chance to appeal because you said this:

I think that was a big mistake. The NEWBIES advice here is not to ignore a windscren PCN but to appeal it at a certain time, only not as 'driver'. You have missed that chance and your only way forward would be if Napier haven't read this thread yet and if they play ball when the employer names you as the keeper responsible for this vehicle.

Napier have moved to the IPC recently so was the PCN one where POPLA was offered on the back?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    Options
    I get the impression that, although Napier play hardball, they are not unreasonable or deliberately dishonest. The OP purchased a P&D ticket before the PCN was issues, therefore he would appear not to have breached any contract which may have been formed.

I doubt if the de Savarys would want this to go to court.
  • moneysaver223344
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    You should appeal as keeper using the IPC template questionnaire in the NEWBIES thread exactly as it is, word for word.
    You could if you wish add a line to say the driver paid and displayed along with a copy of the ticket so Napier suffered no loss. Also mention that the fact the ticket fell on the floor is the fault of the parking company for not providing tickets that are fit for purpose.

You suggest I use the IPC template from Newbies exactly as is. The second sentence reads: "As this is purely a charge (not a statutory penalty) issued under a purported contract and the driver has not been identified, I require the following information so that I can make an informed decision".

If I respond as the keeper claiming the driver has not been identified, how do I have a valid parking ticket to offer them? Do I have the wrong template?

To confirm for the benefit of other posters questions, my employer have allowed me to deal with this as the keeper and will not get involved. They are happy for me to deal with this.
    Redx wrote: »
    but you need to be very careful with this company, or you face a court case

I've read your posts, I know this is my decision and risk, but in my position with a valid ticket what would you suggest? I am leaning towards appeal right now.
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    You need to amend all your posts above, which say far too much about who parked/drove/had a P&D ticket...

I think that was a big mistake. The NEWBIES advice here is not to ignore a windscreen PCN but to appeal it at a certain time, only not as 'driver'.

Coupon-mad - I take your point, should have appealed earlier. I think it's too late now to remove reference to who was driving. I have not given anything away other than "I" parked. Who am I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport