do i have to pay?

Our management company have just presented us with a water bill from Sept 2015. Do we have to pay this as it was so long ago? I do not trust our management company and can not get any answers from them?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,311
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If the terms of your lease say you pay water charges and you haven't yet paid then the bill being late doesn't mean you don't owe it any more.

Or are you disputing the charge itself? Have you seen the bill and do you disagree that the charges are correct?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • *~Zephyr~*
    *~Zephyr~* Posts: 612
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If its for your water usage and you have used the water then yes, of course you have to pay for it!

The date of the bill is irrelevant.
  • jo6677
    jo6677 Posts: 47 Forumite
    It's was from 2014 not 15 as I'd put. I thought I'd read on lease advisory service that if it's over 18 months ago you don't need to pay. Also we are disputing it as the yearly bill went from £18k to £37k. Thought to be due from a leak. The company will not provide us with a breakdown and I'm not prepared to pay until they do.
  • jo6677
    jo6677 Posts: 47 Forumite
    2014 not 2015
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum.

September 2015 is only 6 months ago - that is rapid by the standards of many Management companies. Provided it is a valid bill they have up to 6 years to present you with the bill.

Posts crossed. Even 18 months is well within the time limit; although I would demand an explanation.
  • £18,000 to £37,000?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 52,955
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your issue is with the huge increase in the usage and billing, not with the time taken to produce the invoice.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport