It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm relieved that you didn't take offence at my post - I didn't want to think it, but once I had then I felt compelled to air it. I'm even more relieved that you don't feel she would do such a thing, and yes, I can't see why it would be a benefit to her but.... Anyway no harm done, I hope.

How interesting about the wedding.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Defo no offence taken. If anything I'm thankful that said it cause I hadn't thought about it :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Good news that the car was £70 less than you thought it was going to be.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

I was meant to visit the gym last night with my friend but he had to cancel to take his 13 week old to the A&E after his 2 year old son jumped on her head! A complete accident and thankfully she's ok. For me on a financial front, it meant yesterday was a NSD. Coincidentally I watched one my fav programmes last night instead, 24 Hours in A&E. Always very heart warming I find.

Today I'm back into a routine. Been to the gym this morning and I've got football tonight (£3.50), so I'll settle for a Low Spend Day.

Received news that my step-brother who is over in South Korea at the moment, is having a baby GIRL!! Due date is May and I'll be an uncle for the first time, can't wait, I love kids.

I've made progress on another of my goals for the year. I started a group chat with my cousins and said I felt we should see each other more often. Long story short, we're all going out for a meal on 25th Feb. Plenty of time for everyone to plan and budget.

On the goal front, I've also been using Duolingo every night to slowly teach me basics of Spanish. Really enjoying it so far.

Have a nice day everyone.
  • mattie1949
    Options
    good morning can you help please,posted on mse staff thread to join this thread have not had word back ,have subscribed is there anything else I should be doing thanks m
    Debt Balance£2.009/£8.88 VSP #25 total to date £22.91p
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Speky.. I've just read your diary and it's amazing to see how far you've come! Well done on being debt free and saving for a house/flat deposit. It's amazing what a bit of motivation and strong will can do.

I have to agree with watching 24 hours in A&E. Though sometimes it can be heart breaking it is also heart warming to see the love shared between each family or person on there. I haven't watched it for a while though but in my job I see this regularly and it's what makes it worth it.

And also what wonderful news that you're going to be an Uncle. How exciting. And it's good to see you've already caught up with your family members and are able to plan in advance. It feels so much better than something last minute.

Something that struck a chord was you saying making more time for your gran. I often visit my grandad (only living grandparent) but maybe not enough. It's just hit recently how lonely he may get and has kind of gave me a bit of a wakeup call to visit him more often.

It's weird how the small things make you think about the biggest aspect overall.

Glad to hear your friends baby is okay too. Accidents happen.

All the best.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Mattie - If you've subscribed then that's all. You should get a notification of some sort when someone posts here. Thanks for subscribing and a huge welome!

Chandelier - Hi, thanks for swinging by and reading. It's nice to hear when things like this can prove helpful to others.

Completely agree on the 24 Hours in A&E. Make me truly thankful for having an NHS and to all those who work and also for my family too.

My gran is also my last living grandparent. I had seen her often last year, but not often enough. As I alluded to a few weeks ago after listening to a podcast about making time for important things, I realised if I can squander countless hours on nonsense, then surely I can manage a few hours out my week to swing by, share dinner with her and just have a good old chin wag. She's naturally a pessimistic person and always jokes about how 'this Christmas will probably be my last' or she won't be here for long - but she's relatively fit and healthy for someone in her 80's.

In the last 2 years I lost my other 3 grandparents and gran seems to be attending funerals of her friends at a similar age and no doubt that'll play on her mind. So I intend to make sure that while I can, I spend as much time as I can with her, reminiscing, looking at old pictures, talking about her youth, my grandad and her husband of 50 odd years etc. A terrible cliche which I hate but is true, you only live once, and that applies to us all.
  • mattie1949
    Options
    thank you , best wishes Mattie
    Debt Balance£2.009/£8.88 VSP #25 total to date £22.91p
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Speky.

I took my grandad to an appointment yesterday. He's pretty deaf and shouts across at the room. The waiting room was full of people laughing at our conversations. He's a funny one. He's 92 and states he's not long left but at least another 5/10 years. He's prepaid his funeral and stated that he won't be paying for funeral cars as we all have transport. He comes out with some corkers. He also nearly got blown away by the wind so was hard to keep him standing! But you're right. In the past two years we've lost my nan and her two sisters- all above the age of 90. We've also lost other family members at young ages..I miss my nan terribly so its been a wake up call with my grandad who lives alone and doesn't like to bother anyone. I think I'll somehow end up sorting out his health with him, but I'd rather him be comfortable. I often sit and listen to him ramble on about all sorts of things. I just nod and agree.

The NHS is truly amazing. I hope we manage to keep this healthcare system. It is nothing but fantastic. I work in the community and we have amazing teams and do so much. I see alot of sides to the NHS and all the work put in.

Have a good day.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • jvr
    jvr Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Speky,

Its lovely to read about your relationship with your gran. I have two living grandparents and the relationship is not close. I have anger at things they have done and they have no interest in any of there grandchildren. I'm often jealous of people who have loving grandparents and its so nice to hear someone have such genuine affection and warmth in there relationship. Good for you for making the time.
    Debt: £14,000 now £2169
    Emergency Fund: 1000/ £1000
    :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family