The Great "Staying Behind The Joneses" Hunt

Comments

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I dont quite understand the 42" plasma telly thing, For less than £300 I picked up a Sony Projector from PCWorld Business Clearance. I use it for DVDs, sports, internet and Xbox, and get a 9ft screen with great quality all hooked up to a MCE PC so I can access all my legally backed up music and movies. And best of all its fiance friendly, as it doesnt hog up the wall when not in use.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DKLS wrote: »
    legally backed up music and movies.

Technically an oxymoron. Copyright law still makes it illegal to backup (even ripping cd to MP3) without specific permission from copyrightholders. ;) Although that's just a demonstration of the law being behind society and technology.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DKLS could be referring to his time shifted or subscription based content stored on a hard disk and controlled by Rights Management, so "legally backed up music and movies" seems a fair enough term to me.
  • Technically an oxymoron. Copyright law still makes it illegal to backup (even ripping cd to MP3) without specific permission from copyrightholders. ;) Although that's just a demonstration of the law being behind society and technology.

he might be referring to his own personal musical and cinematic creations ;)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Staying behind the Jones & saving money.

-Most furniture second hand.
    -TV wide screen CRT second hand
    -Clothes + designer clothes = second hand
    -Books from library
    -DVD free from news paper or borrow from library..
    -VHS from charity shops - get all the classic Disney films
    -Magazines - second hand for 25p
    -play station 2 in good for us
    -10 year old JVC stereo does the job good
    -Microwave for under 30 pounds... dont want any of the feature that the expensive one have to offer.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • cwp500
    cwp500 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post
    gord115 wrote: »
    I bought a Sony crt 32" (KD-32DC11U) tv a couple of years ago with built in freeview.
    Many of my friends are now buying 37" and 43" lcd tvs but I can honestly say not one of them has a good a picture as my Sony. I'll be keeping mine for a while yet. if you can get one of these you wont regret it.

Absolutely agree with you, I have a similar Philips tv which looks bulky by the standards of the skinny ones on display elsewhere but I havent seen a better picture quality and that is all that matters,surely, as far as the telly is concerned!
    :o Keep trying.........................what else is there to do? :o
  • cwp500 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you, I have a similar Philips tv which looks bulky by the standards of the skinny ones on display elsewhere but I havent seen a better picture quality and that is all that matters,surely, as far as the telly is concerned!

We have an old CRT TV and a newer LG LCD TV and I can honestly say that our old Toshiba 20' CRT TV has a much better picture than the LCD TV (which is hard to view from some angles). We bought the Toshiba about 7 years ago second hand for £150 and is still going strong. By the way I still prefer the old ratio to widescreen.:D
  • We have an old CRT TV and a newer LG LCD TV and I can honestly say that our old Toshiba 20' CRT TV has a much better picture than the LCD TV (which is hard to view from some angles). We bought the Toshiba about 7 years ago second hand for £150 and is still going strong. By the way I still prefer the old ratio to widescreen.:D

I would just like to add that all this stuff about High Definition, Widescreen etc.. is just a ploy to persuade people to get rid of their so called 'outdated' televisions and buy a new one. I'm perfectly happy with my old Toshiba CRT television. How good does a picture have to be? When I watch a program I do'nt sit there thinking "I do'nt think the picture is very good", I just enjoy the programme. And what about the environmental impact of manufacturing all those new TV's and disposing of the 'old' ones.:(
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The reason HD was brought in really is the trend in getting larger tvs. When you have a larger TV then it doesn't matter how good it is the standard resolution looks worse and worse, the larger the TV. As for widescreen, again that's the trend in more people wanting a "home cinema" and films aren't recorded in 4:3.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • The reason HD was brought in really is the trend in getting larger tvs. When you have a larger TV then it doesn't matter how good it is the standard resolution looks worse and worse, the larger the TV. As for widescreen, again that's the trend in more people wanting a "home cinema" and films aren't recorded in 4:3.

Fair point but my 20" TV is big enough for me.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure