Surface water rebate

Hi

I just wanted to see if people have any idea as to whether I stand any chance in pursuing a claim here.

I live in a small close of 5 houses served by Anglia Water.

My neighbour told me in February that none of the houses in the close were connected to Anglian Water for their surface water. They had been inspected in 2001 and that had been confirmed by AW.

So I applied for this refund. 7 months later, 12 letters and 3 inspections they have now agreed that I am not connected either. It was like extracting teeth. It took months to get an inspection. The first took one look and within 30second said it was private. We then had another visit two weeks later effectively saying they hadnt believed the first guy - but they too confirmed it was private. And we then had another visit from two people saying that they needed to inspect. Again within 30seconds they confirmed it was private. Some of these guys had travelled 30miles to do this inspection.

I think it outrageous that the company has no obligation to backdate the claim. Also unbelievable that the company has probably spent many times the refund in sending people out on wasted trips.

However does anyone think I have an angle to pursue this based on the fact that my neighbour going into the same drain had this rebate many years ago - they simply had to know that all the houses in our road were also not connected but chose to take a blinkered view on this. They seem to hide behind the "we have to treat each claim individually" and the sheer effort to get this charge removed has been frankly completely disporportionate to the ease with which this charge was applied.

They have told me that I need to take this up with the regulator if I want to take this further. Am I wasting my time?

Thanks David

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Welcome to the forum.

This question of backdating has been covered several times on this forum. If you do a search will find them.

In essence the Regulator has upheld the policy of not backdating claims beyond the charging year of the claim.

That said someone has managed to get Thames water to backdate a claim 6 years - although it was for a small annual sum and possibly they couldn't be bothered to fight a determined individual.

You are absolutely correct about the way this charge is applied being a nonsense. However, much as I don't like to defend any water company, there is some logic to the decision to not backdate rebates - notwithstanding that the charge shouldn't have been raised in the first place.

Anyway a search under 'water' in this forum will give you lots of information
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure