PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are Persimmon really as bad as the web reviews???

Options

Comments

• TheRealTomTom
    Options
    Mickey666 said:
    Derboy said:
    Davesnave wrote: »
    You buy a pig in a poke when purchasing any new build, and you usually pay a premium price to do it.

Regardless of the national house builder's name, I wonder why anyone does it. Special monetary deals? Part-exchange? I'm sure I can't see the attraction.

Here we go again. Every house in the country was a new build at one point...
    True (obviously!), but times change and so does the quality of build.   Mine was a new build about 450 years ago and still in good condition because of the quality of build.  How many of today’s new builds will last 100 years, never mind 450?
    I agree in part to this. How many of the 450 year old homes have had nothing touched in 450 years. Houses need repairs, things get fixed and re-built and adapted as styles change, problems from the original build are found and rectified. I am not saying they are going to be perfect houses. Houses by the nature they take a while to build, with 40-100 people working on them. Materials sit out in the elements for days and one piece of wood will react differently to that than another. I don't think houses are built with a shelf life on purpose, and agree if you happen to get a shoddy builder you will get something that lasts no time at all. That is why there has been this change since the rise of big industry builders have built plots with 1000 houses on showed that if unregulated standards will slip to where we see these reviews online. I think that is also a point in our history, 450 years not every one had access to a platform that can outlive them. 

• Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You mention ‘unregulated standards’, which is ironic really because there is more regulation than ever these days what with planning controls and building controls and company quality systems supposedly to assure materials quality.  None of that existed when my house was built yet it is still here after 450 years.   Yes, of course, it has had works to it over those centuries, repairs as well as general maintenance and improvements such as electricity and running water ;) I’d still say its fundamental build quality is far better than any new builds thrown up today.
    I recently removed a ‘stud wall’ in part of the house.  It wasn’t original to the house and was maybe only 150 years old.  The quality of the wood used to build the frame was way beyond modern fast-grown ‘carcassing’ softwood used for building these days.  Just one small example of the decline in modern housing quality - ever smaller Identikit houses, tiny rooms with barely enough room to walk around a double bed, paved ‘gardens’ barely large enough for a barbecue and ‘en suite’ shower rooms about the size of a telephone box in which it’s impossible to wash ones hair without banging elbows on the plastic cubicle.
    I guess you could say I’m not a fan ;) 
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    You buy a pig in a poke when purchasing any new build, and you usually pay a premium price to do it.

Regardless of the national house builder's name, I wonder why anyone does it. Special monetary deals? Part-exchange? I'm sure I can't see the attraction.
    They have been told they need to "Get On The Ladder!" at any cost, any old kitchen/bathroom/bit of grass for a garden will do, you can always borrow more money later and install a better kitchen/bathroom?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 July 2020 at 2:53PM
    Options
    We had a look at a Persimmon when we were house hunting back in the early 1990s.  This was when you could look inside houses that were still being built, as long as they were past a certain stage.  We liked it - but not the colour of the en-suite sanitary ware, which was blancemange pink.  Of course, if this had all been fitted then it would have been different - but the suite plus tiles were still in boxes in the bedroom.
    We asked the sales rep if these could be changed for white.  Absolutely not, he said - what you see is what you get.  We left, mostly due to this attitude rather than anything else.
    We bought a house from a local builder and are still (happily) here. 
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We bought a four-year-old Persimmon flat as a buy-to-let in 2016 and have had absolutely no problems with it.  The road outside has only just been finished but that was due to constructor's traffic needing to access the estate which is even now still being built (different house builders).  Perhaps any snags it had were picked up and put right by its original owner.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • cass88
    cass88 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Currently looking at a Persimmon home, 4 bed in North East, after searching for reviews they have a terrible name.
    Does anyone have any good feedback about Persimmon as I've only read bad so I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts now.
    Go onto All 4 app and search for dispatches. They did an investigation into Persimmon which is available to stream, its worth a watch
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cass88 said:
    Currently looking at a Persimmon home, 4 bed in North East, after searching for reviews they have a terrible name.
    Does anyone have any good feedback about Persimmon as I've only read bad so I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts now.
    Go onto All 4 app and search for dispatches. They did an investigation into Persimmon which is available to stream, its worth a watch
    What was the general conclusion?
  • cass88
    cass88 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cass88 said:
    Well the episode is titled "Britain's New Build Scandal" so that maybe a hint, have a read through this though

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/britains-new-build-scandal-channel-4-dispatches 
  • TheRealTomTom
    Options
    cass88 said:
    cass88 said:
    Well the episode is titled "Britain's New Build Scandal" so that maybe a hint, have a read through this though

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/britains-new-build-scandal-channel-4-dispatches 
    Reading this, and the review I mentioned, they are taking more responsibility for their actions. 

I spoke to an owner on the estate who had glowing reviews on the site team and the support they have had. 

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think the last time Crashy got close to living in a new build was a crib.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback