PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are Persimmon really as bad as the web reviews???

Options
Currently looking at a Persimmon home, 4 bed in North East, after searching for reviews they have a terrible name.
Does anyone have any good feedback about Persimmon as I've only read bad so I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts now.

Comments

• Malmo
    Malmo Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the HBF star ratings. I think they were 3 / 5 stars in the most recent survey, so not great and lagging behind many of the key players in the industry.
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    I met with a guy recently who works for a big national kitchen manufacturer that supplies kitchens to developers and he told me that Persimmon was second only to Barret in having the lowest budget for kitchen-per-plot out of all the national housebuilders. I.e. Their kitchens are cheap crap.

I've no personal experience and have nothing against new builds but that and other negative feedback would put me off those two builders in particular.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You buy a pig in a poke when purchasing any new build, and you usually pay a premium price to do it.

Regardless of the national house builder's name, I wonder why anyone does it. Special monetary deals? Part-exchange? I'm sure I can't see the attraction.
  • skyview
    skyview Posts: 11 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I am not sure where you looking to buy. up to some extent it's depend on site manager( I guess). I recently bought a persimmon home in east tilbury, the build is good very few snags which they sorted out quickly. I am not sure about their standard kitchen as i upgraded it a little.
    overall if you ask me rate it I would give 4.8 as I am very much pleased with them.

This is my personal opinion only
  • lilyp
    lilyp Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    I have a few friends who live in a new Persimmon estate near me and their advice would be avoid at all costs unless it is your only way of getting in the housing ladder. They all bought because they needed the help of the help to buy scheme but have had nothing but problems with the quality of their homes. Persimmon promise to fix problems within a certain time period (a few weeks I think) but they all have a list of over 20 problems that they have waited 18 months for. The design of the estate is awful - speed humps cause localised flooding in heavy rain, the promised play park was 2 years late and unsafe and there are already parking wars between neighbours and there is just nowhere to put an extra car if needed - even if just a visitor for a few hours.
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    You buy a pig in a poke when purchasing any new build, and you usually pay a premium price to do it.

Regardless of the national house builder's name, I wonder why anyone does it. Special monetary deals? Part-exchange? I'm sure I can't see the attraction.

Here we go again. Every house in the country was a new build at one point...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Derboy wrote: »

Yes, but times change.

I accept that all houses come with problems. It's just that new build environments don't shake-down for a few years. The houses in them are also often better once others have done the snagging and upgrading.

Even established areas can, and do, change, but there's more chance of seeing what you're buying into.

All house buying is fraught with potential pitfalls.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I lived in two new build flats when i was a student. The Persimmon looked flashier in its finish, but was much lower quality than the less flashy Bellway flat I moved into afterwards.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Derboy wrote: »

Not every new build are equal.

I lived in a George wimpey house before they became Taylor Wimpey. 11 years old but quality is good.

Friend down the street in permisson flat had a lot of snagging issues and took so long to fix.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Kell4life
    Kell4life Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    If often tends to vary from development to development. If you are seriously considering purchasing, I'd do as much research as possible, look at the full plans on the council's website, also speak to owners who have already moved in to see if they are happy, if parking is good, any anti social behaviour.

I too have read some bad things about Persimmon, our first house purchased 8 years ago was Persimmon and we had no problems with it, but I think their quality has got worse. You literally get nothing included as standard anymore, and they are selling a lot of their houses as a leasehold rather than freehold. We lost interest in Persimmon after finding that out, too much hassle paying ground rent etc.

I'd look at all options including other builders and buying an older property.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback