WiFi keeps turning on by itself

Options
littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I posted this in the Techie forum but got no response so far and wonder if it is better here.

I have a Sony Xperia, just a basic model because I use my tablet for apps. So in the phone I keep the WiFi setting to OFF as a default. Lately it has coming on without any intervention from me. .At first I thought I must have put it on myself and forgotten to turn it off.

But then I checked it was off before leaving my phone on the bedside table over night. The next morning I actually watched it turn itself on and start downloading notifications from Facebook.I did not install fb, it came with the phone and does not appear in the appslist, so I cannot delete it from there, if it is the culprit.

Suggestions on the web are to access the WiFi advanced settings and disable the connection optimiser. My phone does not have an advanced WiFi menu or any function which is called connection optimiser .It is not sophisticated enough.

So I assume it is being triggered by an app, of which I have hardly any except the ones preloaded. Maybe it is fb? But how do I access it to disable it if it does not appear on the apps list. I have done a hard reset btw

Comments

• diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My Xperia SP used to do the same, a update to Android stopped it.
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    install FB and delete again ??? maybe a corruption
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    But then I checked it was off before leaving my phone on the bedside table over night. The next morning I actually watched it turn itself on and start downloading notifications from Facebook.I did not install fb, it came with the phone and does not appear in the appslist, so I cannot delete it from there, if it is the culprit.

Suggestions on the web are to access the WiFi advanced settings and disable the connection optimiser. My phone does not have an advanced WiFi menu or any function which is called connection optimiser .It is not sophisticated enough.

So I assume it is being triggered by an app, of which I have hardly any except the ones preloaded. Maybe it is fb? But how do I access it to disable it if it does not appear on the apps list. I have done a hard reset btw

Settings > More > Application Manager > All
    That will show everything on the phone (including core android functions)
    Should be able to delete FB, & any other bloat you dont want, there.

Settings > Connections > Wifi
    then press the 'menu' button [=] , Advanced

Settings > More > About device > Software updates
    then click 'Update now'
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    I posted this in the Techie forum but got no response so far and wonder if it is better here.

You posted in the Techie board at 9:54am today, then less than 30mins later here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure