Paying in Europe

I have to pay a German hospital 1,870 Euros (for treatment for my late wife). I can get the money together, but what's the best way to pay it? Should I do it with a credit card, or transfer the money from my bank account, or what?
Thanks!

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Would your insurer pay it?
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would find a metrobank,open an account,pay in £1500 then pay with this card,there will be no charges and you will get the very best exchange rate.
    You can do all this on the same day on the spot.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2016 at 12:36PM
    Weren't you covered by an EHIC?

Or:-

"Without a European Health Insurance Card
    If you don't have your European Health Insurance Card or you are not able to use it (for example, at a private hospital which is not covered by the EHIC scheme), you may be asked to pay and then claim reimbursement when you get home. This applies to both public and private healthcare providers. However, the terms will be different:

Only those treatments which you are entitled to receive at home will be reimbursed.
    You will be reimbursed only up to the cost of treatment in your home country– which may be less than you paid for the treatment.
    If you require urgent treatment, your local health authority might be able to help by faxing or e-mailing proof of your health insurance coverage to avoid you having to pay upfront."

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/unplanned-healthcare/payments-reimbursements/index_en.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure