Advice needed

Options
I have just found out that I had PPI on my old mortgage,

Basically I asked the nationwide is I had any PPI on any products in the past and I was shocked to find out that I had one on a old mortgage that I had taken out in 2003 over ten years.

I then decided to pay a extra £500 off the mortgage halfway through the 10 year term but I am unsure on the date that my mortgage finished, however I did leave £1 oweing on the mortgage in order for the nationwide to keep hold of my deeds, my question is, would my mortgage still have been active until 2013 even though I had paid off my mortgage.

I have used the nationwide claim form To see if I can get something off them. But thank you to Martin for nagging me to find out if I had PPI or not.

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I then decided to pay a extra £500 off the mortgage halfway through the 10 year term but I am unsure on the date that my mortgage finished, however I did leave £1 owing on the mortgage in order for the nationwide to keep hold of my deeds, my question is, would my mortgage still have been active until 2013 even though I had paid off my mortgage.

Not quite sure what you mean by this, do you mean was your PPI still active?
  • Insider101
    Insider101 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    malct wrote: »
    I have just found out that I had PPI on my old mortgage,

Basically I asked the nationwide is I had any PPI on any products in the past and I was shocked to find out that I had one on a old mortgage that I had taken out in 2003 over ten years.

This is rather like saying you were shocked to find out you had insurance on your car. Mortgage PPI is an entirely separate stand alone product. It is not part of the package with the mortgage. It might have been described to you under a different name like Accident, Sickness and Unemployment cover or Mortgage Protection cover, but you can't really not know about it. You would have had to sign a direct debit mandate for the payments.
    I then decided to pay a extra £500 off the mortgage halfway through the 10 year term but I am unsure on the date that my mortgage finished, however I did leave £1 oweing on the mortgage in order for the nationwide to keep hold of my deeds, my question is, would my mortgage still have been active until 2013 even though I had paid off my mortgage.

If there was still an outstanding balance then the account would still be active.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

First the slap on the wrist. How are you shocked you are paying MPPI when it shows on your monthly statements? What else are you paying that you have forgotten about? What if an incorrect transaction went through? Would you even notice? How on earth you can be shocked about a monthly payment going through for 10 years is amazing.

I have used the nationwide claim form To see if I can get something off them.

Most MPPI complaints fail. It suffers fewer issues than loan PPI or credit card PPI. It is still retailed today as it carries more importance than loan or credit card PPI (which are no longer retailed). What reasons for complaint did you give?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • malct
    malct Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only had one direct debit going out and that was to the nationwide for the mortgage and once I paid the mortgage off, then I stopped the direct debit.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I only had one direct debit going out and that was to the nationwide for the mortgage and once I paid the mortgage off, then I stopped the direct debit.
    If you no longer had any valid direct debit, how would any premium be paid?
  • malct
    Options
    Just to clarify, I didn't know that I had PPI, I wasn't paying any other direct debit and I knew what I was paying direct debits for. But yes shocked that the nationwide have told me that I had PPI on my mortgage , I can honestly say that I did not know that I had PPI and I have questioned the nationwide about this since I was on a very good sickness scheme were I got full pay for a year before going to half pay. My question was, if you leave a £1 on your mortgage, is the mortgage still active so you can claim ppi, this is due to not knowing when I finished my mortgage and it may be 6 years ago or more.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    .... My question was, if you leave a £1 on your mortgage, is the mortgage still active so you can claim ppi, this is due to not knowing when I finished my mortgage and it may be 6 years ago or more.

Whether or not your mortgage is, or is not 'active' has nothing to do with your ability to complain about a PPI sale.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2016 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Just to clarify, I didn't know that I had PPI, I wasn't paying any other direct debit and I knew what I was paying direct debits for. But yes shocked that the nationwide have told me that I had PPI on my mortgage , I can honestly say that I did not know that I had PPI and I have questioned the nationwide about this since I was on a very good sickness scheme were I got full pay for a year before going to half pay. My question was, if you leave a £1 on your mortgage, is the mortgage still active so you can claim ppi, this is due to not knowing when I finished my mortgage and it may be 6 years ago or more.

Can you prove that you would have been able to pay off your mortgage if you were taken ill or lost your job?

For example, if the MPPI is critical illness cover then what is your employers sick leave policy (during the period in question)? Would it cover your mortgage long term? If the MPPI is income protection then can you prove that you could pay your mortgage if you lost your job (during the period in question)? i.e. do you have a lot of savings? You may have a case if you can prove that you could support yourself in these circumstances, in my opinion.

However, that being said; if the payment is itemized on a monthly/annual statement, then you may have a difficult time proving that you did not know about it.

Note that there is a difference between MPPI and PPI.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My question was, if you leave a £1 on your mortgage, is the mortgage still active so you can claim ppi, this is due to not knowing when I finished my mortgage and it may be 6 years ago or more.

You cannot claim on the policy if you are not paying premiums. Insurance remains in force as long as you pay it.

if you mean complain, then you can complain whether you are still paying premiums or not.
    I have questioned the nationwide about this since I was on a very good sickness scheme were I got full pay for a year before going to half pay.

That is very generous and much better than anything I have ever come across that did not involve an insurance policy. The best employers not offering an insurance policy would be 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay. However, it should be noted that the FOS have been rejecting complaints from people with 12 months sick pay when it comes to MPPI but upholding when it comes to loan or credit card PPI. Mainly due to the significance of the debt (mortgages are lifestyle changing if you do not pay them and long term. So, short term employer benefits are not really an issue).
    ut yes shocked that the nationwide have told me that I had PPI on my mortgage
    It is not hidden. It would be there on the statements. Most MPPI is standalone direct debit from your current account. Some older PPI from building societies could be collected with the mortgage direct debit but it would appear on the mortgage statement (house insurance could be paid that way and in some rare cases, life assurance could too).

Leaving a £1 and not paying a direct debit would mean you are not paying PPI.

Do you have any of your old mortgage statements? Take a look at those if you do as they would show the MPPi if you are paying it (and its not on your current account).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • malct
    Options
    Regards the letter from the nationwide, it states the following Thank you for your query as to whether you have held a payment protection plan policy with the nationwide, I have checked our records and can confirm policies were held for the following products, Mortgage, held, credit card, not held. If you now decide that you want to make a complaint for miss-selling of PPI, full details are on our web site.

I know for a fact that I was only paying for my mortgage, so either they have made a mistake by saying that I had PPI or it was also included with the mortgage payment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure