Thames Water meters now compulsory?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Does anyone know about this petition by 38 Degrees?

As a new member I am not allowed to post links, apparently, but you can find it by typing "Stop smart meters petition" into google.

I've just signed.

Welcome to the forum.

This particular thread is about water meters.
  • Yes I understood that, but I also thought that the meters Thames Water want to install are in fact Smart Meters. Am I wrong?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No, they are smart meters. But there are two campaigns on 38 Degrees, one for smart meters in general, and one specifically for smart water meters in Haringey.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman wrote: »
    No, they are smart meters. But there are two campaigns on 38 Degrees, one for smart meters in general, and one specifically for smart water meters in Haringey.

I don't live in Haringey. Anyway I'm objecting to smart meters in general. It's just that Thames Water is trying to force me to have one at the moment.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't live in Haringey. Anyway I'm objecting to smart meters in general. It's just that Thames Water is trying to force me to have one at the moment.

They have a legal right to fit a meter if they wish to do so. You will then have two years before you have to switch to metered billing-or you can switch sooner if your bills are reduced.
    Since you accept that it's fairer, and probably cheaper, I am unclear quite what your objection is?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MattE9
    MattE9 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Water Meters are a significant pressure on consumers to manage their water use correctly. Clean water is a precious resource - still unavailable to many many millions in the world, 1000s of whom die every single day because of diseases due to lack of clean water.
    If the OP doesn't currently manage their water use sustainably a meter might just make them do that.
  • JaiP94
    JaiP94 Posts: 1 Newbie
    To clear the facts up - the government have just given them power to install compulsary water meters if they want to in areas with severe water distress. So basically they can if they want and the government won't stop them.
  • KenWilson
    KenWilson Posts: 5 Forumite
    So how much would the meter setup cost?
    Any idea folks?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    KenWilson wrote: »
    So how much would the meter setup cost?
    Any idea folks?

It is free, with all water companies
  • den32amg
    den32amg Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This to me smacks of BT, a monopoly. Where the customer paid for the replacing of their cables in the 1990s. Then with cameron allowing americanisation, distroyed the word " contract ", then 3 rises a year.
    Thames should be made to repair all existing leaks, have a legal response time frame for repairs, then go for meters. However, I still think that this is a con for future years, as all large private companies has friends on the government. Look at lloyds bank, public shares only sold to private investors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure