We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Poor work history/mental health - what should I do?

Options

Comments

• Of course there are some people doing better than others. There are still a lot doing well, and a lot doing not so well. Much the same as people with degrees. I haven't noticed any of my friends with established trade businesses moving out of their big houses or downgrading cars; I have also seen a lot of younger people coming out of university and working in call centres.

You are looking for something guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed. However many times you ask for the magic answer to "what can I do that will 100% assure me of a well-paid job without taking up too much time?", you are not going to get it, because it doesn't exist.

Well from the replies I've had on here, I am readjusting my expectations of both a "guaranteed" job and my salary expectations.

I "just" want a way in to a professional role/career without a degree now. What can I do?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    Do we understand from this that you want an office based role and aren't interested in a manual career or trade like plasterer, carpet fitter, locksmith, handyman, roofer, decorator etc?

Obviously pay for plumbers, electricians, gas engineers at the skilled end of the spectrum are the better paying but you don't have the inclination and/or aptitude and/or patience for the more complicated and lengthier training?

That you don't think an entry level job like a call centre employee or Civil Servant can lead anywhere higher?

Seriously, he won't get a job in the Civil Service, it's not constructive to push it.

If he worked in a junior admin role in an office or took a call centre job for a while, then he might get a better admin or call centre job and do that for a bit, then he might have a chance of a job in the Civil Service.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Well from the replies I've had on here, I am readjusting my expectations of both a "guaranteed" job and my salary expectations.

I "just" want a way in to a professional role/career without a degree now. What can I do?

Nothing. It's not realistic.

Get a less exalted role and see where it leads.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

Although, what do you call "professional"? Go and work for an estate agent. No qualifications needed. Some would call them professional. It would all be down to your personal characteristics.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone suggest any qualifications I can study that will qualify me for entry-level jobs in a professional industry?

I'm thinking along the lines of how there are certain accountancy qualifications you can study towards for entry-level accounting work (I can't remember the name of it...ACCA or something).

Not looking to become an accountant, I was more thinking of similar types of qualifications that will allow me a foot in the door in a professional industry the same way that type of qualification does in an entry-level accountancy job.

But I thought you said the you were poor at working with numbers?
  • BigAunty wrote: »
    Do we understand from this that you want an office based role and aren't interested in a manual career or trade like plasterer, carpet fitter, locksmith, handyman, roofer, decorator etc?

Obviously pay for plumbers, electricians, gas engineers at the skilled end of the spectrum are the better paying but you don't have the inclination and/or aptitude and/or patience for the more complicated and lengthier training?

That you don't think an entry level job like a call centre employee or Civil Servant can lead anywhere higher?

It's not that I don't have the patience or aptitude, it's just difficult to become a qualified tradesman at my age without being financially stable. Like I said in another reply, to become a qualified, skilled tradesman at my age (31) is almost impossible without a serious financial commitment. The normal route in is via an apprenticeship to gain the skills and experience needed, but they are 99% of the time aimed at 16-19 year olds as the government funds those apprenticeships. As a 31 year old it would almost be impossible without paying around £10k+ and 3-5 years of training to become qualified and that's with almost zero practical experience. I've looked into all this quite thoroughly.

I think an earlier reply said how difficult it would be to get into a civil service type job and how there are very limited promotion opportunities.
  • SpicyChickenBaguette
    SpicyChickenBaguette Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2016 at 3:08PM
    Options
    But I thought you said the you were poor at working with numbers?

I am! Did you not understand what I wrote in that reply? I was just using accountancy as an example of how a non-degree qualification can lead to an entry-level job in a professional industry.

I definitely don't want to become an accountant, I'm useless with numbers beyond GCSE level.

It was purely an example of the kind of qualification I'm looking for - one that will open doors to an entry level professional job without needing to attend university.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seriously, he won't get a job in the Civil Service, it's not constructive to push it.

I'm not going to push it because he doesn't have any interest in this area.

However, I wonder if you aren't overlooking the skills, experience and behaviours he would have gained during his voluntary work that could meet the competencies they seek.

The Civil Service is regarded as one of the most 'fairest' employers around that ask the least requirements from candidates for its entry level roles. It alleges provides a supportive and respectful working environment.

They are pretty much the largest employer in the UK? Hard to dismiss as an opportunity, though granted the OP is not interested in following it up.
  • Although, what do you call "professional"? Go and work for an estate agent. No qualifications needed. Some would call them professional. It would all be down to your personal characteristics.

Professional - something preferably office/business-to-business based, working with businesses or clients, using skills I have learned through experience and training/achieving qualifications? Something with a corporate/promotion structure.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

I think an earlier reply said how difficult it would be to get into a civil service type job and how there are very limited promotion opportunities.

No, nobody said anything of the sort.

It's competitive to get into because it's desirable.

Once in, there are plenty of promotion opportunities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport