We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Poor work history/mental health - what should I do?

Options

Comments

• BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have any of the suggestions that have been made about possible career paths chimed with you?

Have any of the suggestions that you consider having a bit more tolerance in achieving your stated aim of earning 35k within 10 years after investing no more than 18 months in training chimed with you?

Do you have any proposed next steps, such as researching a particular course or career path from the information and advice that has been provided?

Has it clarified more areas that you are definately not interested in.
  • BigAunty wrote: »
    Have you looked into whether there are any charities that help people with MH/substance issues into employment? I have no expertise in this area but assume there are organisations that help find employment for vulnerable people with sympathetic and more open minded employers.

I've been referred in the past but the level is more aimed at those with more severe MH issues and the work is at a really basic level. I had a social worker previously who agreed it wasn't really aimed at people like me. Most schemes are more at integrating people into a work environment - not what I need, I've worked in the past and feel ready for work.

I definitely don't feel as those my previous MH history will have any effect on my ability to work at any level, it is just getting employers to give me a chance for more premium job opportunities. I don't want sympathy.

It's just such a shame that to have a good career with promotion opportunities these days you need a degree, AND to stand out from other candidates with a degree.
  • SpicyChickenBaguette
    SpicyChickenBaguette Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2016 at 2:40PM
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    Have any of the suggestions that have been made about possible career paths chimed with you?

Have any of the suggestions that you consider having a bit more tolerance in achieving your stated aim of earning 35k within 10 years after investing no more than 18 months in training chimed with you?

Do you have any proposed next steps, such as researching a particular course or career path from the information and advice that has been provided?

Has it clarified more areas that you are definately not interested in.

The only thing that I should probably reassess is my salary expectations.

No one has really suggested anything other than teaching abroad or working with people that have mental health issues. Neither of those appeal to me. Working in a healthcare/support environment is the last of my priorities after experiencing it myself for large parts of the past 10 years. Like I said my only actual "interests" are fitness, film and games.

I understand I need to reassess my expectations in terms of a job - I am happy to consider most "professional" jobs that have prospects even if I have little or no interest in the industry. I just want to make something of myself.

Are there any professional careers that I can enter that involve studying for a qualification part time or even full time without university?

I know that accountancy is one career that can be entered through studying qualifications without a degree, but I'm not good with numbers particularly so perhaps that's not the best option.

Is there anything else along the same professional level as accountancy that I could look at that doesn't involve a degree? I want a job that I can get my teeth into, not a trivial/menial job like pushing trollies around or delivering pizza.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    You're right, perhaps I'm not capable of completing a degree. The only subject area I would say I am above average at is English (two A* grades at GCSE before I left) and I'm certainly not a numbers person. But my last period of study was 15 years ago, and it would be difficult to get back into that frame of mind again.

The impression I'm starting to get it from society in general is, unless you have a degree and the intelligence to match, you shouldn't expect much. I want what most other people want: my own mortgage home, a family, car, nice things etc but it just seems so out of reach for me.

I don't know whether you are capable of it or not, and neither does anyone else on the internet.

Are you telling me you don't know any tradesmen, who have trained as electricians, builders, carpenters, whatever, and built their own businesses to varying degrees of success, without going anywhere near a university? You don't know anyone like that?

I know plenty, and many of them earn a lot more than the vast majority of people I know who have degrees.
    Seriously though, why are there so few opportunities for people with legitimate past mental health issues or disabilities? Why should an employer write me off or not give me a chance based on something I had no control over? Even if I did complete a degree or a qualification that made me eligible for a job and I was competing with a 21 year old fresh-faced graduate with the same qualification, shouldn't an employer not use my medical history against me when it was no fault of my own.

It's not that you've had medical problems, it's the fact that you have absolutely nothing to show employers to suggest you'd be a benefit to them. You are ten years late, maybe through no fault of your own, but you can't expect to be put in the same position as people who have spent those 10 years gaining skills and experience. You need to start from where you are, or you will continue to slip further behind.
    Life just seems so easy for some people.

Yes. And it's hard for some people, and it's in the middle for most people. If you constantly compare yourself to the 0.0005% who have everything drop into their lap, you might as well never get out of bed. Nearly everyone has made an effort and worked, in some way, to get to where they are. You've done nothing yet. Literally nothing. It may not be your fault you haven't done anything, but I'm not sure what you expect?
  • BigAunty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I feel like I have no chance competing with 21 year olds with a normal CV, let alone 21 year olds that have a degree.

I can't get an apprenticeship because of my age. I have no skills to offer and no work experience beyond basic, entry level unskilled jobs.

Guess I'm destined to be stacking shelves for the rest of my life, and the very best I can hope for is rented accommodation, a £500 banger of a car, and a relationship with anyone that feels enough pity for me.

Seriously though, why are there so few opportunities for people with legitimate past mental health issues or disabilities? Why should an employer write me off or not give me a chance based on something I had no control over? E.

I don't think any of the posters wanted to extinguish your hope and ambitions, despite us calling you out on a few things.

Your past isnt' your future, though it probably feels that way right now.

Hopefully once you've had a think about the suggestions, and performed a bit more research, you will have a lightbulb moment and get your break.

As for employers having no tolerance for those with MH issues, the fact is that most don't care about any of their employees and pay lip service.

As per my previous post, they only care to employ those they think are reliable. They aren't a branch of social services, as much as we would hope they can help communities and individuals, the majority just want to maximise income and minimise expenses.

Once you understand that mentality, that they aren't there to provide you with the means to buy a decent motor, a nice house and keep your girlfriend in gifts, and step into their shoes, your job seeking activities may well get sharpened.

Surely, you understand this as none of your post has been about finding a job to help others - in fact, you've actively dismissed health related jobs where you could help vulnerable people like yourself, the focus is about increasing your quality of life.

That said, there are definitely organisations that have explicit positive attitudes towards MH sufferers and productive well-being policies for staff. Why not ask on the disability and dosh forum if they can help you identify them?

Or become self employed and beholden to no-one apart from yourself and the customers you find? Establish a business in an area that you have an interest in - dog walking? pet sitting? dog training? pet grooming? doggy day care? train as a Vet? Rather than aiming for a 'money' job which often subjects the person to a bad work/life balance.
  • Are you telling me you don't know any tradesmen, who have trained as electricians, builders, carpenters, whatever, and built their own businesses to varying degrees of success, without going anywhere near a university? You don't know anyone like that?

I do know a builder who runs his own business but he said that it is so competitive now to build and maintain a business as a tradesman these days as everyone has been told the same story over the past decade of "plumbers who run their own businesses earn a lot" now everyone is trying to do it and it's more competitive than ever, people undercutting others just to get customers heading their way and not really earning much of a living out of it, and that's after 3-5 years minimum of training. Pretty much impossible for me as a 31 year old to get a good apprenticeship in a trade, so it will probably cost me the best part of £10k just to qualify.
  • Can anyone suggest any qualifications I can study that will qualify me for entry-level jobs in a professional industry?

I'm thinking along the lines of how there are certain accountancy qualifications you can study towards for entry-level accounting work (I can't remember the name of it...ACCA or something).

Not looking to become an accountant, I was more thinking of similar types of qualifications that will allow me a foot in the door in a professional industry the same way that type of qualification does in an entry-level accountancy job.
  • BigAunty
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Are there any professional careers that I can enter that involve studying for a qualification part time or even full time without university?

Is there anything else along the same professional level as accountancy that I could look at that doesn't involve a degree? .

Do we understand from this that you want an office based role and aren't interested in a manual career or trade like plasterer, carpet fitter, locksmith, handyman, roofer, decorator etc?

Obviously pay for plumbers, electricians, gas engineers at the skilled end of the spectrum are the better paying but you don't have the inclination and/or aptitude and/or patience for the more complicated and lengthier training?

That you don't think an entry level job like a call centre employee or Civil Servant can lead anywhere higher?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    I do know a builder who runs his own business but he said that it is so competitive now to build and maintain a business as a tradesman these days as everyone has been told the same story over the past decade of "plumbers who run their own businesses earn a lot" now everyone is trying to do it and it's more competitive than ever, people undercutting others just to get customers heading their way and not really earning much of a living out of it, and that's after 3-5 years minimum of training. Pretty much impossible for me as a 31 year old to get a good apprenticeship in a trade, so it will probably cost me the best part of £10k just to qualify.

Of course there are some people doing better than others. There are still a lot doing well, and a lot doing not so well. Much the same as people with degrees. I haven't noticed any of my friends with established trade businesses moving out of their big houses or downgrading cars; I have also seen a lot of younger people coming out of university and working in call centres.

You are looking for something guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed. However many times you ask for the magic answer to "what can I do that will 100% assure me of a well-paid job without taking up too much time?", you are not going to get it, because it doesn't exist.
  • BigAunty wrote: »
    I don't think any of the posters wanted to extinguish your hope and ambitions, despite us calling you out on a few things.

Your past isnt' your future, though it probably feels that way right now.

Hopefully once you've had a think about the suggestions, and performed a bit more research, you will have a lightbulb moment and get your break.

As for employers having no tolerance for those with MH issues, the fact is that most don't care about any of their employees and pay lip service.

As per my previous post, they only care to employ those they think are reliable. They aren't a branch of social services, as much as we would hope they can help communities and individuals, the majority just want to maximise income and minimise expenses.

Once you understand that mentality, that they aren't there to provide you with the means to buy a decent motor, a nice house and keep your girlfriend in gifts, and step into their shoes, your job seeking activities may well get sharpened.

Surely, you understand this as none of your post has been about finding a job to help others - in fact, you've actively dismissed health related jobs where you could help vulnerable people like yourself, the focus is about increasing your quality of life.

That said, there are definitely organisations that have explicit positive attitudes towards MH sufferers and productive well-being policies for staff. Why not ask on the disability and dosh forum if they can help you identify them?

Or become self employed and beholden to no-one apart from yourself and the customers you find? Establish a business in an area that you have an interest in - dog walking? pet sitting? dog training? pet grooming? doggy day care? train as a Vet? Rather than aiming for a 'money' job which often subjects the person to a bad work/life balance.

I'm really not asking for employers to take pity on me just because of my past, I just don't want it to be a hinderance because it shouldn't be.

I don't want to help others like me as I've had enough of being in that environment and it only brings back bad memories - surely that's an acceptable reason.

I just want a chance. My problem is I don't know what pathway to take. I'm willing to take a job in a professional industry that I have zero interest in, as long as there is some sort of pathway to it (e.g a way to get my foot in the door without a degree necessarily, and then some sort of structure).

I give accountancy as an example as I know you can get an entry-level job (with a lot of perseverance) if you have certain non-degree qualifications.

I'm looking for suggestions along that kind of level.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport