cost of adding steel beam support in kitchen

Options

Comments

• missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FTBSteve wrote: »
    Thanks guys - I realise my terminology was all over the place in my first post now :-)

As everyone's identified:
    It's a structural engineer who should be doing the calculations/drawings, not an architect
    It's Building Control who need to approve it, not planning permission

What's the recommended method for finding a reliable structural engineer?

Have a look on your local council planning portal, look for similar jobs and note the name of SE.

The problem I had was finding a SE to take in such a small job. I called the BC and asked if they knew anyone that could do this tiny job. They were careful to not recommend but did give me a name.
    For info and from memory
    The SE cost £250
    The steel cost £100
    The rest of the job including fireproof plaster board and quite a bit of making good was around £250. The making good was in with a whole lot of other stuff so is my best guess.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Nothing will be right if it was done 40 years ago. The specs change all the time - it doesn't necessarily mean the work is unsafe. I've just had an extension done, and the first structural engineer I spoke to was a right doom merchant - he felt I was lucky to be alive in the house as it was and couldn't understand how my house was still standing after 120 years (and scoffed at the idea I wanted to knock out some walls). The second engineer was happy to take on the job without fuss. Problem to watch for is people will over-engineer to cover themselves and to force up the cost of the job.

Who actually highlighted to you it wasn't done properly?
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys - I realise my terminology was all over the place in my first post now :-)

As everyone's identified:
    It's a structural engineer who should be doing the calculations/drawings, not an architect
    It's Building Control who need to approve it, not planning permission

What's the recommended method for finding a reliable structural engineer?
    long shot but whereabouts are you ?
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    Nothing will be right if it was done 40 years ago. The specs change all the time - it doesn't necessarily mean the work is unsafe. I've just had an extension done, and the first structural engineer I spoke to was a right doom merchant - he felt I was lucky to be alive in the house as it was and couldn't understand how my house was still standing after 120 years (and scoffed at the idea I wanted to knock out some walls). The second engineer was happy to take on the job without fuss. Problem to watch for is people will over-engineer to cover themselves and to force up the cost of the job.

In my experience, ALL structural engineers will over engineer their work, usually to the tune of about 100%! This gives them quite a large safety margin to cover the unforeseen.
  • iwanna
    iwanna Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2016 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Had one out this week for calculations and drawing.
    I recommend looking here: https://www.istructe.org/finding-a-structural-engineer/find-an-engineer

and/or here: http://www.findanengineer.com
  • newbridge
    Options
    ic wrote: »

A RICS surveyor...
    [STRIKE]Deposit: 25000!!/15000[/STRIKE] Homeowner :j
    quidco cashbacks- 1142.81
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    In my experience, ALL structural engineers will over engineer their work, usually to the tune of about 100%! This gives them quite a large safety margin to cover the unforeseen.
    In many domestic situations it will be cheaper to carry out a simple calculation that results in an over-engineered solution than to pay for the engineer's time to carry out a more detailed assessment.
    Quite often even when a steel beam has been sized carefully for structural capacity you will end up using a larger size as it is more easily available, or more convenient for the builder (e.g. right flange width to support a wall above).
  • FTBSteve
    FTBSteve Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    A few people have said the structural engineer calcs will be £100-250.

I've had three quotes from SE's - all are coming in between £600-900 pounds. Is this just because I'm in London, or am I doing something wrong? :-)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A few people have said the structural engineer calcs will be £100-250.

I've had three quotes from SE's - all are coming in between £600-900 pounds. Is this just because I'm in London, or am I doing something wrong? :-)

What are you trying to do and what are you asking them for?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • FTBSteve
    FTBSteve Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I need structural support for a chimney stack in the loft, so I'm asking for calculations required for gallows bracket or steel support beam.

I'm unclear if drawings are required for this, but it looks like there quotes are including drawings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure