Do I get 2 bills on a water meter?

I was with Southern Water (waste) and Portsmouth Water (supply) and just changed to a water meter int he last couple of weeks. I've had a bill from Portsmouth Water for £38.11 payable over 8 months direct debit. But I've not had a thing from Southern Water. For those on a water meter, do you pay 1 bill or 2? I also need to work out if I have to cancel my pre-existing DDs.
:heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,574
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You usually get two bills, one from each company - the water supply co will notify the sewerage co of the meter readings or estimate of your water consumption. Once you had a years worth you'll get it adjusted.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    on a meter you will get one bill, the water co. usually the one supplying water install and maintain/ read the meter and send bill for water and sewage , they pass the sewage part over on your behalf, that's how it works round here anyway ( AW + ST)
  • MrWillyWonka
    MrWillyWonka Posts: 286
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    We have just moved to a new 3 bed house and our bills are with both Southern Water and Portsmouth Water also. I ended up having to call Southern water as we didn't receive a bill. It seems they only send it out every 6 months in October and March.

Out of interest, how much did you pay for your bills? Having moved over from a meter, our water bills have nearly doubled.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,574
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Mr WW - have you move to abrand-new house with a meter or fram a house with a meter to an older property without a meter.

If you've not got a meter and are on Rateable Value billing then it would be worth your while getting a meter fitted. It won't cost you anything and if it doesn't reduce your bills then you can go back to RV billing within 12 months.

Most people can save money with a meter as they've got control over how much water they use. Do the sums
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport