New house complaint, would appreciate some advice on how to deal with.

Options
Hi, I moved into a new property in July. Since then our "high quality" kitchen units have delaminated on the underside! Now I was told this is due to steam damage, my kettle sits under the unit next to the damaged one. Now all the kitchen sockets are situated under all the units so it's impossible not to plug in under the units. I complained and just recieved a really cheeky response basically stating that as I use a steam steriliser and was informed not to place this under the unit and have disregarded this advice then my warranty wouldn't cover it.
1; the steriliser is on the opposite side of kitchen to the unit in question.
2: again where should I place it?
3: in my opinion, if a kitchen unit can't withstand some steam in 6 months, then it's not fit for purpose! Almost all appliances emit steam! Surely they knew this when they designed the kitchen.
I have replied asking them where they suggeat I put the appliances, as the advice the kitchen fitter gave me was to pull out to edge of worktop away from units, with 2 small children I don't think this is an option with hot items such as kettle and steriliser etc!

I'm not a complainer and to be honest I feel out of my depth with where to go with this. Anyone any ideas

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    on a hiding to nothing. You could pull the steam items forward whilst in use then slide them back afterwards. You chose to let them kick steam out onto laminate for 6 months.
  • kmoggy
    kmoggy Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I have done this but the steam still goes under the unit. The cable is only so long plus the steriliser is not in question here as its on the other side of kitchen from the damaged unit! My kettle is only one there and I'm not willing to pull a kettle out to edge of unit to boil with small kids running about! Never ever had to do this in my life with a kettle!
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Small children who could somehow be not small enough to tip a kettle on a worktop on their heads?
  • kmoggy
    Options
    Hmmm don't really need a smart asses answer like that thanks! Away troll elsewhere! Yes they are small children and perfectly capable of touching a boiling kettle placed at edge of unit
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I'm not trolling, but you were told not to put a steamer under the units and you put a kettle underneath, and now it has steam damage. Not all appliances emit steam, as you say. My toaster doesn't, or my mixer.

You are perfectly capable of standing near your kettle whilst it boils for a minute to avoid steaming the bottom off your units. It's not a danger to your children unless you make it so. My kettle is pretty near but my units are wooden, not laminate and I haven't had the issue.
  • kmoggy
    Options
    Well easier said than done with a young family and 6 month old twins! Bit point taken. Just never ever heard of this before or anyone else that does this.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Are your neighbours having the same problem? I've never heard of having to keep your kettle on the edge of the worktop to prevent steam damage. It doesn't sound safe.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Are your neighbours having the same problem? I've never heard of having to keep your kettle on the edge of the worktop to prevent steam damage. It doesn't sound safe.

They're not saying do it at the edge of your worktop, just to not let it steam away directly under the cupboards.

Obviously depending on the set up of the kitchen that can be easier said than done. It must be a very small kitchen with very little counter space if there's nowhere to place a kettle that isn't directly under a cupboard or at the very edge.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your units should easily be able to handle the steam from a kettle. I'm no spring chicken and I've never had this happen in any kitchen of mine.

It's pretty standard on here to make digs when people are concerned about their children, just ignore them.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Your units should easily be able to handle the steam from a kettle. I'm no spring chicken and I've never had this happen in any kitchen of mine.

It's pretty standard on here to make digs when people are concerned about their children, just ignore them.
    OK Zandoni, you've suggested the OP ignores other posters.

Have you any further advice for her?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport