Kitten insurance

Options

Comments

• Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My kittens are also indoors, and already I've had quite a few vet bills, but I guess that's the risk we take with purebreds in particular.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Indoor cat does not mean accidents can not happen - bad jump/broken leg etc etc can happen.

If you can afford, go for Petplan as this is the only one that covers dental
  • stranger12
    Options
    What is the deal with dental work?

Is it very expensive and how often?

I paid 40 last week to pull out one of its broken teeth
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dental ca be very expensive -depending on your vet/where you live/extend of work needing to be done.

2 of my cats had scale removed and 1 or 2 extractions, total bill over 1400

Your kitten is 4 months old and already had a broken tooth that needed extraction?

Very strange...
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Indoor cat does not mean accidents can not happen - bad jump/broken leg etc etc can happen.

If you can afford, go for Petplan as this is the only one that covers dental

I have to agree with this.

My cat slipped off the window sill and got her leg caught behind the radiator on her way down and broke her leg. £600 all in to fix it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Lil_Dee_2
    Lil_Dee_2 Posts: 167 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2016 at 5:38PM
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    I have to agree with this.

My cat slipped off the window sill and got her leg caught behind the radiator on her way down and broke her leg. £600 all in to fix it.

I'd have thanked you for that Happy MJ, if it wasn't such an "ouchy" comment that really isn't something to be Thanked !

They do like to prove us all wrong don't they ? Indoor cat, no accidental cover for me, oh accept for when they decide to......*add your own accident here*
  • gunsandbanjos
    Options
    I insured my rescue kitty recently, she's only about a year so I went for a fairly basic insurance with more than. It was £54 for the year old and I got £55.50 cash back so they paid me to insure her.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Petra_70
    Petra_70 Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Well the insurance will definitely NOT stay at seven quid a month! Wishful thinking!

My friend has 2 cats, and was paying about £15 for the 2 to begin with (11/12 years ago,) and in mid 2013, it was around £33. In mid 2014, they bumped it up to nearly £90 a month for the 2 cats. No reason.

Also, I have heard of many tales of them not covering eye operations, and not covering dental work too. They only seem to want to pay out, when it's only about £150. And the excess is around £70! So they hardly pay anything!

My friend has paid about 3 grand out in pet insurance, and never claimed, and yet they virtually tripled the fees for no reason. So she now wishes she had never bothered insuring them.

That said, you could find something coming up that costs £500 to £1000, and will you have the money to pay?

Thing is though, insurance companies are notorious for not paying out.

So it's a minefield, it really is.

Only you can decide.

It may be worth it while she is a young cat, and it's only costing £7 a month.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have never had a problem with insurance paying out. Making sure you read the policy carefully and know what i/ and is not covered is very important. Then there are no nasty surprises.

One of my dog's cost Petplan hundreds of pounds more than I ever paid them despite her having some fully explained exclusions on the policy

I have paid 4 years at just over £25 per month for one of my current dogs..Two years ago I claimed nearly £3000 for treatment for a cruciate repair.

So I am still quids in for a few years yet even if I do not claim for anything else. With a 60% chance of the other cruciate going that seems unlikely.

My other dog has similar premiums and I have not claimed for anything for him in his 11 years.

I still would not be without insurance for the peace of mind insuring with a decent company gives.

Being retired , on a limited income, I do not want to be faced with worrying how I will pay a large vet bill.

I pay house insurance and don't complain that I have never claimed. In fact, I am glad that I have not had to claim.
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I lost my previous cat about 6 months ago and vet fees were over a thousand pounds, insurance paid out with no quibble.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport