NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Regulations outside EU

We all know the EU Regulation 261/2004 is a major part of claiming back on flights delays. I was just wondering if there were any similar regulations outside of the EU that covered any non-EU to non-EU flights with non EU airlines that anyone knew about? Say for example Miami to New York using American Airlines.

If this question has been answered previously, a link would be appreciated :).

Replies

• Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There is no protection in the US at all, airlines are not even obliged to take care of you, particularly if the delay is weather related. If it was a technical delay some airlines would seek to transfer you to a different airline, but unless you are high up in their frequent flyer programme that doesn't seem to happen very often and probably explains why many US airports look like refugee camps when bad weather hits
  • Thanks for your quick reply. It seems insane that there are no regulation to cover passengers. Are the EU regulations the only ones that will compensate a passenger if they are delayed?
  • David_eDavid_e Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your quick reply. It seems insane that there are no regulation to cover passengers. Are the EU regulations the only ones that will compensate a passenger if they are delayed?

Not sure I'd use the word "insane"; plenty people think that the EU delay regulations are insane, given the disconnect between loss/inconvenience suffered and the amount of compensation payable. (And I say that as someone who has made two successful claims!)

Usually, in the UK at least, I think you generally rely on basic contract law if you have a problem. However things like air travel have at some stage been 'carved out'.

This is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals