We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Would This Work To Register Windows 10
Oblivion
Posts: 20,248 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Ok, so I don't want to change my Dell workstation from Windows 7 to 10 for a few years at least, but I can see it might be sensible to at least get it (motherboard) registered for 10 whilst it is still free. Would this cunning plan work?
I have a couple of identical (to my C: drive) hard drives in caddies which I use in rotation to make periodic clones of C: so that if it ever fails I can simply swap in the latest clone and be back in business immediately.
What if I install one of the clones to 'update' from 7 to 10 thus registering the machine (I assume it's the motherboard that gets registered) and then clone it back to 7? Or is it not that simple?
I have a couple of identical (to my C: drive) hard drives in caddies which I use in rotation to make periodic clones of C: so that if it ever fails I can simply swap in the latest clone and be back in business immediately.
What if I install one of the clones to 'update' from 7 to 10 thus registering the machine (I assume it's the motherboard that gets registered) and then clone it back to 7? Or is it not that simple?
... Dave
Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bring me sunshine in your smile
0
Comments
-
yes , fit one of your cloned drives and do the upgrade , check that the machine has been accepted , turn off replace drive by original one , make cup of teaSave a Rachael
buy a share in crapita0 -
If its anything like the activation under older versions of Windows, you have what's called a VLK - volume licence key - on that Dell. If you use a product key finder program it may not match the one stuck on the top/bottom/side/back/front of the computer.
Under previous Windows, Changing the board forces a new activation. The VLK won't activate at that point, you'd have to change it to the licence stuck on the machine.
Under Windows 10, you'd get a digital licence, and a post on a forum I found said that even swapping the board for a new one that's exactly the same in every which way, shape and form, it will not reactivate your digital licence and you would be expected to buy a new licence, all because you had to replace the board.0 -
I've done a similar thing on a machine I want to leave on Win 7, but registered for Win 10. In that case, I installed the free upgrade then immediately rolled it back to Win 7. No problems encountered, all as it was before and happily running Win 7 - saves messing about with other drives.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
0 -
Or, once you've upgraded one of your C: clone drives with 10, add the original 7 drive and - voila - you have a 10 + 7 multiboot. (hint: EasyBCD is your friend).0
-
Neil_Jones wrote: »If its anything like the activation under older versions of Windows, you have what's called a VLK - volume licence key - on that Dell. If you use a product key finder program it may not match the one stuck on the top/bottom/side/back/front of the computer.
Under previous Windows, Changing the board forces a new activation. The VLK won't activate at that point, you'd have to change it to the licence stuck on the machine.
Under Windows 10, you'd get a digital licence, and a post on a forum I found said that even swapping the board for a new one that's exactly the same in every which way, shape and form, it will not reactivate your digital licence and you would be expected to buy a new licence, all because you had to replace the board.
correct , the licence is taken from the bios string (and oother places) changing the board is like changing an engine in a car , (after you have broken it) what manufacturer would offer the same (free) service on a different engineSave a Rachael
buy a share in crapita0 -
I've done that with all my machines. Not yet ready to move to Win 10 but all machines registered and ready to go when I decideOk, so I don't want to change my Dell workstation from Windows 7 to 10 for a few years at least, but I can see it might be sensible to at least get it (motherboard) registered for 10 whilst it is still free. Would this cunning plan work?
I have a couple of identical (to my C: drive) hard drives in caddies which I use in rotation to make periodic clones of C: so that if it ever fails I can simply swap in the latest clone and be back in business immediately.
What if I install one of the clones to 'update' from 7 to 10 thus registering the machine (I assume it's the motherboard that gets registered) and then clone it back to 7? Or is it not that simple?This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com0 -
Excellent. Thanks guys. I just need to fight my way through the dust, cobwebs and spiders under the bench to pull my workstation out.
I presume I also need to make a Windows 10 installation disc for if and when I am wanting to reinstall 10 at a later date.... DaveHappily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisureI am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.Bring me sunshine in your smile0 -
pappa_golf wrote: »correct , the licence is taken from the bios string (and oother places) changing the board is like changing an engine in a car , (after you have broken it) what manufacturer would offer the same (free) service on a different engine
In other words you are saying that henceforth ALL win 10 licences are OEM types - ie tied to the installation/hardware?
so the old Retail licence concept of a licence to use the OS on a single machine of your choosing and right to transfer it onwards to another machine will cease.0 -
-
go to this page and bookmark it , at the top of the page is the installer to upgrade your machine , further down is the "media creator" section
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
in the media creator section you can "burn" a pendrive or DVD with win 10 on it
**** note:
one you have updated your cloned drive , go to (square box on right taskbar) all settings/ security and update/activation
you should then see the fact that it has a digital entitlement
if not , run updates until it registers the machine
when reloading w10 from scratch (using pendrive) skip "enter ser no" and the machine will be activated upon going on the webSave a Rachael
buy a share in crapita0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
