We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Would This Work To Register Windows 10
Comments
-
If it helps, from my experience, there aren't actually many good reasons not to go ahead with the upgrade and keep it. Maybe when you do this with one of your drives, try it for a week before trying your planned swap. I've certainly not felt any desire to revert (unlike the dogs dinner that was windows 8)0
-
All free upgrades of Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 get tied to the hardware the upgrade was initially installed on. You can buy retail licences of Windows 10 if you wish to.ChiefGrasscutter wrote: »In other words you are saying that henceforth ALL win 10 licences are OEM types - ie tied to the installation/hardware?
so the old Retail licence concept of a licence to use the OS on a single machine of your choosing and right to transfer it onwards to another machine will cease.0 -
Or clone the drive to a file and run it in VMware and update in the VM enviroment.Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...0
-
All free upgrades of Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 get tied to the hardware the upgrade was initially installed on. You can buy retail licences of Windows 10 if you wish to.
That's what I thought initially, but Microsoft have confirmed that retail versions of Windows 7/8 will upgrade a retail version of Windows 10.0 -
That's what I thought initially, but Microsoft have confirmed that retail versions of Windows 7/8 will upgrade a retail version of Windows 10.
Just curious, but do you have a source for this? The only official things I've come across is along the lines of "Windows 10 upgrade is valid for the life of the device "Everything else has been speculation, which is annoying, as I would like to think a retail license really is a retail after upgrade.0 -
Just curious, but do you have a source for this?
Hmmm... I can't seem to find it right now, but I'm certain I saw it (on an official MS page; not on their random "answers" forum). This is a big issue for me, if I decide to upgrade.
The more I read, the more it looks like the upgrade version is tied to the machine. :-/
Apparently you can activate Windows 10 using a Windows 7 product key, but it's not mentioned whether that would work if you upgrade the motherboard.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/activation-in-windows-100 -
ChiefGrasscutter wrote: »In other words you are saying that henceforth ALL win 10 licences are OEM types - ie tied to the installation/hardware?
so the old Retail licence concept of a licence to use the OS on a single machine of your choosing and right to transfer it onwards to another machine will cease.Just curious, but do you have a source for this? The only official things I've come across is along the lines of "Windows 10 upgrade is valid for the life of the device "Everything else has been speculation, which is annoying, as I would like to think a retail license really is a retail after upgrade.Hmmm... I can't seem to find it right now, but I'm certain I saw it (on an official MS page; not on their random "answers" forum). This is a big issue for me, if I decide to upgrade.
The more I read, the more it looks like the upgrade version is tied to the machine. :-/
Apparently you can activate Windows 10 using a Windows 7 product key, but it's not mentioned whether that would work if you upgrade the motherboard.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10
I was querying this months ago when Win 10 launched.
At that time there was conflicting advice, even from Microsoft, but it settled down to the fact that an upgraded Retail Win 7 would become the equivalent of an OEM Win 10.Move along, nothing to see.0 -
I was querying this months ago when Win 10 launched.
At that time there was conflicting advice, even from Microsoft, but it settled down to the fact that an upgraded Retail Win 7 would become the equivalent of an OEM Win 10.
Yeah -- from the official MS information I've been reading recently, it looks like that's how it works.
I think the confusion might have been due to Microsoft (in their parlance) not issuing new licences for free Win10 upgrades, but converting existing Win7/8 licences to permit W10 installation.
Microsoft clearly said that existing retail licences would remain retail licences if licensees took part in the free W10 upgrade offer. But I can only imagine that they meant that your upgraded licence would just be considered a retail W7/8 licence with the added free upgrade. Somewhat misleading.
Naturally, people presumed this meant that you could transfer a license that had been upgraded to W10 to a new machine (which you can)... and still run W10 (which you can't). You still have a retail licence and can install W7/8 under the original terms of that licence, but the W10 upgrade can't be transferred.
Very confusing. I wish Microsoft had bothered to make this clearer. It's one more reason to avoid upgrading to Windows 10 for now.0 -
Yeah -- from the official MS information I've been reading recently, it looks like that's how it works.
I think the confusion might have been due to Microsoft (in their parlance) not issuing new licences for free Win10 upgrades, but converting existing Win7/8 licences to permit W10 installation.
Microsoft clearly said that existing retail licences would remain retail licences if licensees took part in the free W10 upgrade offer. But I can only imagine that they meant that your upgraded licence would just be considered a retail W7/8 licence with the added free upgrade. Somewhat misleading.
Naturally, people presumed this meant that you could transfer a license that had been upgraded to W10 to a new machine (which you can)... and still run W10 (which you can't). You still have a retail licence and can install W7/8 under the original terms of that licence, but the W10 upgrade can't be transferred.
Very confusing. I wish Microsoft had bothered to make this clearer. It's one more reason to avoid upgrading to Windows 10 for now.
At the time I think I posted 2 links, one from MS stating 'the facts', that is the one which turned out to be incorrect. :cool:Move along, nothing to see.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
