PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's your grocery shop timetable?

Options
Hello All :hello:

Trying very hard to be a bit more OS in my ways and have already started meal plans and shopping lists, sticking to weekly budget etc.

Just wondering if you shop around for offers/fresh veg/other what your shopping timetable is like? Unfortunately I have to rely on DH to take me shopping as I don't drive, but I think it would be much easier if I could go out and get the shops myself without him interferring and questionning me at every purchase - it's better if the food just appears in the cupboards isn't it ladies? :rotfl:

What do you, which system works best?

What's most economical for you?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

:beer:

Comments

• Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    DH has to take me too, but it's a case of if it's not on the list, we ain't getting it.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • ibelongtoguy
    Options
    I'm getting there with the control thing....but well done Hapless!!

Maybe I could leave him in the car? :rolleyes:
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shop online-I work full time and have a disability, so that's the best way for me. I find it easier time and money wise, as I'm not tempted to buy anything I don't need, and can go back and forth to the kitchen cupboards to check if we have anything in or need anything in particular.

People have different ways of shopping, so try a few and see what suits you.

Un sou est un sou
  • krispyg76
    Options
    Buy what you need for a meal that day.

On Wednesday when I was off i did 5 meals :

Pork medallions with red wine
    Chicken jambalaya
    Chilli Con Carne
    Spaghetti Bolognese
    Turkey with smooth cider sauce

Cost me all of about £25 for all 5 of those
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I do my shopping online. With my monthly meal plan (sort of) I know what I need. I just do a top up about every 2 weeks.

If your DH gets a bit too picky, take along your meal plan and show him that and the shopping list. If he says anything you can always ask him if he would like to take over. :p
  • BusyGirl
    BusyGirl Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't work on a Monday so that is my shopping day. I go to Aldi first, then get the other things that I can't get there in Asda. I have used Lidl and try to go there when they have the reduced fruit/veg. I have also shopped at Tescos online when I've been ill or unable to get out.
    I know that some people do a big monthly shop at Tescos online and then just buy their fruit/veg/milk locally. You'll find a system/routine that you like, although I know that I prefer to shop alone and then I stick to my list!
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just been to the ASDA with the kids - nightmare, not the kids, but the fact that is was a shop that I am not used to, couldn't find what I wanted, and had sold out of a load of stuff. I plan a leisurely trip towards the end of the day, at my regular supermarket. Bargains galore.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    DH and I shop together most Saturday mornings! Very sad, very boring...I have a master shopping list, drawn up several years ago, which I pull off the computer and am now doing a four week menu plan, so just highlight what we need for the current week. Used to do this years ago when kids were small, and have decided to do again as I was running out of ideas. probably after a couple of months I'll get fed up, but at least currently I don't need to think!
    Keep thinking I ought to try on-line, but not sure I could justify the charge.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

My hubby takes me too!!..i grab my list and off we go...I have to say though that the only thing hubby ever puts in the trolley is nuts...and only every so often..... he is great - shopping, cooking is my domain and he leaves me to it...and eats whatever i put in front of him...so i thank my lucky stars:D in 5 years of marriage ive never had 1 complaint:T

he hates shopping but a cunning plan you might find works is doing a glorified version of supermarket sweep:rotfl: ...hubby gets to dash for things like coffee..he only drinks nescafe so he can't get that wrong....proccessed peas..he knows which ones etc.....but only the things that involve no temptation to him;)
    So i trundle up and down the alleys in peace n quiet ..hubby gets distracted and is happy as he knows that we are gonna get out of "the bad place" so much quicker:p

We have allread decided that if we ever have kids...im off to the supermarket myself and hubby is staying at home with them...happy people all round:T
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    OH takes me shopping as I don't drive either. He goes to the booze isle and leaves me in peace to do my own shopping. At the checkout we pay seperately.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport