Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

Options

Comments

• Floeydoey
    Options
    Havent been on in a while my daughter seemed yo be doing really well over the summer in practice tests went back to school and her marks have dropped i give her tests to do at home she always does far better in them although at this stage im just going to keep doing what we are doing and what will be will be as the secondary school we like is also a good school but what worries me about that is will she get in theres always something to worry about
  • flymetothemoon_2
    Options
    Havent been on in a while my daughter seemed yo be doing really well over the summer in practice tests went back to school and her marks have dropped i give her tests to do at home she always does far better ........

Floeydoey
    My son was exactly the same 2 years ago, his scores plummeted throughout September and I couldn't understand it but I eventually found out what was causing the problem -
    1. the teachers attitude (total disinterest & even told the class they didn't need to do the test to get a good job cos she went to local secondary and is now a teacher)
    2. she was teaching half the class while the other half were doing practice tests so there was noise and distraction in the classroom
    3. whilst she marked their tests, she didn't bother to go over mistakes but instead would ask anyone who wanted her to go over any questions to put their hand up
    By end Sept, when I had found all this out I went into school to see teacher and after 20 mins of straight talking & her apologising, I made it quite clear to her that I was not there for apologies, I was there to get things fixed quickly for a boy who I knew was so capable but, thanks to her, had now lost all confidence in himself - i was furious with her. Turned out several other parents were in same boat and were equally annoyed. Principal was made aware of situation & next thing teacher went off sick and class got a sub teacher who was brilliant and turned all the kids back round. Parents were so relieved & kids all did well in the end & got their choice of grammars but no thanks whatsoever to the main P7 teacher.
    So, I would say to any parents out there who are experiencing an inexplicable drop in scores but only in papers done at school to quizz their kids about what goes on in their classroom during tests and ask does teacher go over mistakes with everyone etc..
  • candy_kid
    Options
    This is what happened to my DD, great results all summer then when she went back to school in September results dropped to under 50% with the teacher papers, over a few weeks of asking her in a round about way she finally said that the TEACHER was giving of to them if they raised there heads to look at the clock, gave of if they looked around the room and other things.
    I have gradually got her marks up again and her confidence is coming up, why do teachers teach if they have a bad attitude.
    3 weeks to blast off.
  • Mumof3boysNI
    Options
    My son is now only doing the two tests the school gives him. I have stopped giving him a paper at the weekend.
    We are both fed up with the whole thing. We are now just looking over his weaker areas for about 30 minutes at the weekend.
    On a slightly different note....My son has now done the 2015 past papers. They were so difficult compared to other years! The best children in the class who have been consistently achieving marks in the 90's all dropped to 80s or lower with these papers. The standard that our children are being expected to reach compared to the children sitting the papers a few years ago is unbelievable!
  • May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Mumof3boys
    We haven't reached the 2015 papers yet. Our kids will be doing it those papers the week between papers 1 and 2. Same boat here home work practically stopped. Going to Spain on hols the half term week and may take 2 papers with us. Now I am worried that 2015 was harder and they have raised the bar. My DS has been in the 90s if he drops away back he'll be disappointed. The only things is the marks are standardised with average 100 in the real thing. So if the child is still in the top 20% of the class or so they'll still be fine as everyone will find it hard as long as they don't panic and freak out when faced with a harder paper. I haven't seen the 2015 paper was it the maths and english both harder / were they easier or harder than the Easons papers? I am reading the other posts and thankfully our P7 teacher is really good and encouraging.
  • Jomidd
    Jomidd Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Really pleased today son came home today and both papers from the weekend was good results. 53/64 and 54/64 seems like his confidence is back up, think it helped that his big cousin who got 127 had a word in his ear and it's really helped. Long may it continue, less than 3 weeks to go..
  • Carebear82
    Options
    brilliant Jomidd - Teacher has just advised me to praise DD as much as possible as confidence is down and nerves are up so sometimes she reads things too quick and doesn't take in what the question is actually asking her
  • May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Same message from our P7 Teacher. He said it was three E's
    Encourage, Encourage , Encourage!
    Thank goodness he is doing the same in class.
  • dee1000
    dee1000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Has anyone discovered any tips for the careless little mistakes. My DS completed another test last night, achieved around 70% not too bad but he needs to gain about 4 or 5 marks each paper.
    So last night going over his test, there were seriously about 10 marks that he was capable of getting right.
    Some Examples -
    3/4 of a number is .............. so he divided the number by 4 forgot to multiply it by 3. The thing is he knows to do this.
    The other one that comes to mind was number of lines, vertices and faces on a shape, so he got the numbers right but put them in the wrong boxes :(
    The other one was find three words from the passage that rhyme with these three words and instead and my son found three rhyming words of his own :):)
    I think he's not reading the question or rushing to get the paper finished.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Dxx
  • Jomidd
    Jomidd Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Dee1000,
    I wish I could give you tips for this but my son makes these silly mistakes aswell. Now his scores are good but could be better, went through a paper that he done at school and got 54/64 but see when we went over the paper he actually could have had another 7, just silly mistakes. He had got the right answer on a maths question which was £12,500 but he put a dot after the 12 instead of a comma and lost the mark. An English question that asked for 2 answers but he only ticked 1 and he knew the other answer when I asked him. Just not reading properly is his downfall, so frustrating. Came home today with the scores of 2 more papers he done and he got 51/64 and 53/64 waiting on those coming home so I can see what he's lost marks on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure