Transfer Test* Support* AQE 2016-2017

Options

Comments

• May100
    May100 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jomide
    Sounds like nothing to worry about with those great scores. He doesn't need to compete with cousin whoever who managed to get one of the tops scores in NI. 110 for most oversubscribed and 100-105 will get him into grammar.
    Our P7 teacher did a table of the averages pupils got in P7 practice tests v final AQE outcome. Those getting about 85% average in practice tests cam out with 110+ in the real thing. Obviously a child can do better or worse on the day but the pattern was those with steady, high scores did well. His table wasn't age adjusted or anything it was just done to give people an indication of what was expected. The few who averaged 92%+ (very few) got over 120. He wanted parents of children who were getting 50 -60% to be realistic about the expected grade
  • Carebear82
    Options
    That's fab the teacher did that what a brill idea - what did the kids get that were averaging mid 70's?
  • May100
    Options
    I am looking at the teachers practice tests v final score. Those in mid 70 Averaged about 105. The top one got 109 in the real test and the bottom one got 102. He used results for past 4 years.
  • May100
    Options
    I meant to add that the averages the teacher was using were tests done in school under exam conditions. Also he was using results from start of P7 to the time of test. It is just the end of Sept so i your child is getting mid 70s now they'll still be climbing. If your child climes up to high 70s over next month then more 105-107 range. Those scoring below 95 were averaging below 65%.
  • Carebear82
    Options
    Thanks that's brill help she got a few tests in 80's but mainly 70's so maybe I shouldn't panic. the school she wants to go to last year lowest score was 106 but her second choice took 99 so maybe she is doing better than what I thought so thanks for this
  • Mumof3boysNI
    Options
    May100 wrote: »
    I am looking at the teachers practice tests v final score. Those in mid 70 Averaged about 105. The top one got 109 in the real test and the bottom one got 102. He used results for past 4 years.

That's all brilliant info, thanks for sharing. Obviously a very clued in teacher to provide that information to parents!
  • candy_kid
    Options
    The lowest score that my DD school took last year was 102, so this year i've been told to aim for 105, I hope she can do it...
  • Bambi1980
    Bambi1980 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    That really is helpful info - so hard to know what each score would really equate to so as a guide, it's a good base - hopefully it fits in with this year too. After a teacher meet last week, we were told they think DD has probably peaked - she has a mid-70s average and I was worried it mightn't be enough - hopefully it will - eek!! Just hoping we can scrape a few more per cent on if she can get the grasp of one or two of the tricky concepts that are still evading her. Here's hoping...
  • Carebear82
    Options
    DD just home with a score of 75% I would just feel better if she was in 80's. Its silly mistakes and not reading question right so nothing I would say she needs to work on - is just giving her more practices tests the trick here? PANICKING now ......
  • dee1000
    dee1000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Well if you were in my position you would be worried !!
    My DS is still adamant he is doing these tests. He was 60% now up to about 65%. I am giving him a test on Sunday morning and a Tuesday evening, and we have a wee revision time (about 10 minutes) on a Saturday morning when I just try to go over the maths problems that he finds tricky.
    In all honesty I don't know how he is going to do but he is trying now and I don't want to tell him he cant do it. The thing is it took him months to realise he had to put the work in and now I fear it might be too late.

It is still the maths, he has grasped some of the questions but honestly some of the tricky ones for him seem to be the metres/kilometres, perimeter of weird shapes, patterns etc etc.

We shall just keep at it and hope for the best.

D xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport