what are my rights when buying furniture from charity shop?

Options
Hi,
I bought a leather sofa from charity shop (RSPCA to be specific) few days ago (still under a week) and when it got delivered I can smell cigarettes smoke from it. I did not smell it in the shop but now I am worried that smoke will go into the walls and the other furniture I have. I spoke with a manager from the shop and he told me he can't give me refund but can offer credit note for value of the sofa (£50). I can't imagine spending £50 in a charity shop on small items... It would take me years plus I would be buying something which I do not really need.
He apologised that they did not check it before selling it and I kind of accepted it but only because I was not sure what are my rights.
Should he not offer full refund? Or am I in the wrong because I could start sniffing the sofa before the purchase?
Thanks for your help

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You're in the wrong. The sofa must have had some smoke smell whether you could smell it or not. You had ample opportunity to inspect your purchase. The credit note is over and above.
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tired using Febreze to try and remove the smell.
    Come on you Irons
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your rights are exactly the same when buying from a charity shop as when buying from any other shop.

To put it another way, all sales in a shop should be considered final unless you are advised of any returns policy at the time of the sale.
  • Johnnytwostep
    Options
    You are wrong.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I imagine if its genuine leather any smoke will be on the surface rather than throughout.

If you have a handheld steam cleaner, might be worth giving it a going over with that then a white vinegar/water solution.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • maninthestreet
    Options
    Get some leather cleaner/conditioner and use it on the sofa.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • eldaniel
    eldaniel Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone for your advice. I guess thats a lesson for me to check for that when buying second hand furniture
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February 2016 at 8:02PM
    Options
    the ciggy smoke is probably the only remains of the poor soul who died while lying on it :)

in all seriousness i would be tempted to go down the car route and try something like autoglym

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning-vacuums/autoglym-car-leather-cleaner-500ml
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The smoke smell will eventually leave the sofa. It won't go into your walls. Just make sure the room is well ventilated and do the suggestions as posted.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RSPCA = leather furniture , makes me laugh

I wonder how many beagles died to create the smell
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories