ID fraud, phone contracts and Credit ratings

Options
Long story short, I was a victim of ID fraud late last year - 4 mobile phone contracts obtained with my details on the same day. Resolved now with all phone providers (appalling service from all of them, bar Vodafone who were for once actually very competent).

Carphone warehouse was a different matter all together. Ended up emailing CEO and COO directly to get any action taken. Two contracts had been taken out in my name on their own "ID network", racking up £30k debts in about 14 days 😵They have acknowledged the fraud and I have all the correspondence related to it. It has only now, 4 months later, appeared on my experian credit report, and showing as late payments, heading for a default.
I have emailed experian stating the above, but who should I be chasing to have it removed from my credit file? I know I have the proof that they accepted it was fraud and not me, but we are just about to apply for a mortgage and having late payments for £30k debt isn't looking great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Strummer22
    Options
    Mr_Potato wrote: »
    It has only now, 4 months later, appeared on my experian credit report, and showing as late payments, heading for a default.
    I have emailed experian stating the above, but who should I be chasing to have it removed from my credit file? I know I have the proof that they accepted it was fraud and not me, but we are just about to apply for a mortgage and having late payments for £30k debt isn't looking great.
    Thanks.

It should be the credit provider, in this case Carphone Warehouse. They report to the CRA, and the CRA just have on your file whatever they've been told. In fact, if Craphone Wh*rehouse (blimey you can have fun with their name!) keep reporting erroneous data, the CRAs will probably be worse than useless so I wouldn't even bother; I'd go to the ombudsman before the CRAs.

My experience has been that you need either a recorded call or a letter from the credit provider stating that they will remove all adverse information from your credit file. I got this (a letter) from the Bank of Ireland when there was a bit of a mess up with my credit card, and the following month when my files were updated all was fine. I did not need to get CRAs involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure