Faulty New Cooker

Options
Last week AO.com delivered my new cooker. It was installed by a qualified electrician rather than AO as their costs for the service is so high and I would still have had to pay to have the existing appliance disconnected.

The ovens on the new cooker work, the ceramic hob does not. AO simply refer me to the manufacturers (Stoves) who will come and look at it at the end of this week...apparently the earliest that can be arranged. I am also informed that 'the parts have been ordered'.

My question is do I have to accept a repair on a new item?

AO will not accept it back as it has been installed and has now been used, well the oven has. All this is is infuriating, it is difficult to cook without a hob and I feel fobbed off by both retailer and manufacturer.

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2016 at 11:39AM
    Options
    What you will have to do is to allow the Stoves engineer to visit and confirm that the hob is faulty due to a manufacturing defect (and not because of poor installation). Once that has been done, inform the engineer that you don't want any repair carried out.

Then contact AO and tell them that you are rejecting the cooker as is your legal right under section 20 of the Consumer rights act and that you are not returning under their returns policy.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

From the AO.Com website:

If Products are Faulty

As a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to products which are faulty or not as expected. We're under a legal duty to supply products that meet the requirements to be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as expected. We'll offer resolutions according ti the timelines outlined by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these terms will affect your legal rights
    If they refuse to accept this, contact your card issuer (assuming that you paid with a credit or debit card) and tell them what has happened and that AO are refusing to honour your statutory rights. Ask for a chargeback to be processed for the original payment.
    If it was a credit card payment, you also have the option of a S75 claim.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this a built in/built under hob and oven, or a freestanding slot in cooker?
    I fail to understand why you would not accept a repair by an official service agent-if they've diagnosed the fault and order the part without even seeing it,it must be something very straightforward?
    If they replace, you will have to pay for reinstallation and have to try and claim that back.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    I fail to understand why you would not accept a repair by an official service agent-if they've diagnosed the fault and order the part without even seeing it,it must be something very straightforward?
    If they replace, you will have to pay for reinstallation and have to try and claim that back.

As AO.com have refused to arrange the repair themselves, and attempted to pass responsiblility to the manufacturer, this muddies the waters of the consumer-retailer contract and can cause problems further down the line.

For example if the engineer causes damage to the hob while carrying out the repair, and the manufacturer then refuses to make this good, the consumer has no comeback. Or if the hob fails again somewhere down the line, the retailer can claim that as it's been worked on by someone not directly appointed by them they have no further responsibility. The consumer may also lose the 'final right to reject' under the CRA because the repair wasn't carried out by arrangement with the retailer.
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    macman wrote: »

It is a freestanding cooker.

My issue is simply with a brand new, never used item needing repair. It has not happened to me before. I need a cooker so will no doubt accept repair, but do wonder if you would accept a new car that wouldn't go with a promise of repair?
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    The chances are, that it is a very simple repair and it will be sorted out within 10 minutes. The GDHA engineers do seem to know what they are doing. I deal with them under a different product offering and they seem to be quite good mostly, I haven't had any issues

It could have moved in transit and just needs tightening up. They have a fault finding system, which directs the call handler down the correct path to rectify the fault, normally first fix. The part will either come with the engineer, or be sent seperate direct to you. You may not even need the part, they send them out, just in case.

As someone has already said, the repair will be the quickest form of rectifying the fault, plus you won't have all the upheaval of having it taken out and re installed, then trying to get the money back from Stoves/AO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure