stockmarkets -are we nearing the bottom or is there further to go ??

Options

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    "Dr. Doom" Roubani, Schiff and several other prominent doom mongers predicted the collapse that arrived in 2007. Stockman has been talking in detail about counterfeit GDP in Asia, the red Ponzi and central banking insanity, amongst other things, from as far back as 2010.

Roubini also predicted the global perfect storm of 2013
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    Roubini also predicted the global perfect storm of 2013

I can only assume he failed to factor the "whatever it takes" counterfeiting, debt transfers and all round can kicking ongoing around the globe ever since in an attempt to delay what seems like an inevitable day of reckoning.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Kendall80
    Options
    True, but if I end up scrabbling through a nuclear wasteland for dead rats to eat I think the value of my ISA won't be high on my list of priorities.

Upgrading from molerats to deathclaw steaks would be at the forefront of my mind.
  • racing_blue
    Options
    If he'd diversified he could have two rats
  • Procrastinater
    Procrastinater Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2016 at 12:50AM
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

..............This is the first time you have expressed any interest in actually learning about what you are talking about since starting to post on this board a week ago. There are multiple threads on this board recommending reading materials and blogs for novice investors, which you could find through a cursory search. I am not going to invest more of my time listing them for you as I don't think you have much of a genuine interest in self-improvement. ...........

Rhetoric and personal belittlement {shrug}

That's ok I didn't acually believe you'd be able to offer a "decent book" to back up your words.

Why not ?
  • Procrastinater
    Options
    There is one interesting thing which comes out of this thread :-

How do we post pictures ?
  • AlwaysLearnin
    Options
    That's ok I didn't acually believe you'd be able to offer a "decent book" to back up your words.

in my opinion, you could probably make a pretty good book FROM bowlheads words...:)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 11 February 2016 at 8:14AM
    Options
    Rhetoric and personal belittlement {shrug}

Why not ?
    Because it is difficult to know where to start with giving someone an education in finance. My own 'expertise' comes from a variety of sources - academic courses and practical career experience over a period of decades, together with taking an interest in economics, markets and financial matters and absorbing a lot of information as I go; I have been using the internet for 20+ years. I didn't just 'read a decent book' to give me a rounded view of the financial world. I doubt such a book exists.

I observed that you didn't seem to understand financial management, as you had not shown much insight in the posts made since joining the board; being able to link marketwatch articles which are not very in-depth, or a light-hearted book which 'exposed' some Wall Street practices three quarters of a century ago, is not what I call 'insight'.

I commented that the Customers Yachts book is becoming out of date because people have so much access to information and education and research, and they can easily make decisions or get into cheap products without having the wool pulled over their eyes. In this age of enlightenment, people can put a little effort in to learning and get results, without needing twenty years of expensive experience. But, I noted, it was easier to bash bankers, investment managers and advisers, as you and Berbastrike would prefer to do through throwaway comments, than actually get educated.

You then demonstrated your ignorance by saying that people are not educated and don't realise that if they had invested in a FTSE tracker in Jan 2000 they would still be down 20%. Which is completely false, because even investing all their money into that one poorly-performing market on the very worst day, they would likely have broken even by easter 2006 and now a decade later be sitting on substantial gains.

So, you seem to be ignorant of basic facts when it comes to investments and markets. With that lack of comprehension, should I presume that means you do or don't understand the marketweek articles and 'intermarket analysis' book on Amazon that you linked? Maybe you don't. So where do we start? Do we need to go back to square one and start off with an A-level economics textbook? GCSE business studies? My First Ladybird Book? They all formed part of my education which means I now know what the FTSE represents and how investment products work.

That is why I linked you to the free online course from Futurelearn, a joint venture between the Open University and The True Potential Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance. It has been linked on this board before; "This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their personal financial skills to make good decisions when managing their investments and buying investment products. The course does not require any previous experience of this subject."

I don't know that it will be any good to you. What sort of a book do you want? You seem to think that bankers and investment professionals are all bad guys. But I'm not sure there's a book that devotes itself exclusively to saying that investment professionals are not all bad guys, in the same way there is probably not a book called 'not all politicians are criminals' or 'not all football players are rapists'.

You probably just need to read more widely around the subject to find out what investment products are out there and which ones could be useful for you. This board already has several threads on reading materials and useful financial blogs so there is no point turning this into one.
    There is one interesting thing which comes out of this thread :-
    And it wasn't the fact that people invested in a FTSE tracker for 15 years have been making money instead of losing money? I would have thought that revelation would have been quite interesting, given that it turns your world view on its head?
    How do we post pictures ?
    When you hit Reply, at the top of the edit box there is a little icon that looks like a landscape. If you hover over it you can click to insert image. Provide the link of the image you want.
  • marathonic
    marathonic Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And here we have it in full graphical beauty

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/g/glencore-plc-ord-usd0.01

Just select the 1M view and check out the foresight - not hindsight

I'm guessing that, fully armed with that 20/20 hindsight of yours, you also sold out at the peak on Monday?
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    marathonic wrote: »
    I'm guessing that, fully armed with that 20/20 hindsight of yours, you also sold out at the peak on Monday?

No as I said I made under 30% which was less than the peak. I am not perfect.

Anyway we now near 5,500 not far now. But there is still mileage to go methinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure