Ebay Argos purchase, can I get a refund?

Options
I purchased this refurbished Toshiba Satellite laptop from Argos through ebay on the 1/02/16 and it is worse than my old Vista laptop. It freezes, drops the internet, reports insecure connection, screen swiping works intermittently and is slow compared to my old one. I expected an improvement, higher spec and windows 8.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331706805205

Am I entitled to a refund of my money, if so under what point of law?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot

Comments

• Silver-Surfer_2
    Options
    Distance Selling regs?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    I purchased this refurbished Toshiba Satellite laptop from Argos through ebay on the 1/02/16 and it is worse than my old Vista laptop. It freezes, drops the internet, reports insecure connection, screen swiping works intermittently and is slow compared to my old one. I expected an improvement, higher spec and windows 8.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331706805205

Am I entitled to a refund of my money, if so under what point of law?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot

Does it actually have windows 8? If not what operating system does it have?

If it does have windows 8 then does any other aspect of it fall below what was described in the advert?
  • Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does have window 8 with an option to upgrade to 10 which I have not used. It is still saying "Limited" on wifi connection which is working fine when I switch my phone or old Vista laptop on.

Fortyfoot
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2016 at 6:32PM
    Options
    It does have window 8 with an option to upgrade to 10 which I have not used. It is still saying "Limited" on wifi connection which is working fine when I switch my phone or old Vista laptop on.

Fortyfoot

OK it sounds like you cannot claim the item was not as described, which is a shame as such a claim is generally easy to demonstrate.

You could try and argue the item is faulty, but it is not clear to me that it is. Simply being sluggish, or not as good as your old laptop would not make it faulty. However freezing might be, as might the screen not swiping, but it depends on the nature and frequency of the problem.

The link you supplied says they have a 30 day return policy. Is that a 30 day return, even if the item is not faulty? If so then might the simplest solution be to return it under that policy? It will mean you have to pay to return the item but the cost should not be huge.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,684 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Fortyfoot

Don't upgrade to W10 without checking on a computer techie website if this advisable for your make/model computer. Some computers have apparently had problems when they were upgraded to W10.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

never had a problem returning item to Argos ebay shop, for a full refund, may have to pay return postage though.

This is from Argos ebay shop help,

My item is faulty, what next?

Please contact us before leaving feedback and we will do our best to help you. It's best to use the Return Item link in your eBay Purchase History to request a return and we'll respond as quickly as possible.
  • Fortyfoot
    Options
    I will try the return item as suggested.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Fortyfoot
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

if I remember right, you get a wee drop down box asking reason for return.

They usually respond pretty quick, day or so, then you get option to print off return postage label, which will have all necessary details on it.

May have to pay return postage through Royal Mail, but you get a tracking number and when they receive the item you will get a refund to the card used for payment, usually pretty quick as well.

Looking back at my last return,

Request: 14 Dec

Posted: 15 Dec

Received: 17 Dec

Refund: 18 Dec

No quibbles and good service.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be sure to send back insured post
  • Fortyfoot
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Be sure to send back insured post

PO quoted £26 for insurance on £200! I am taking the risk.

Received free postage label and posted it back this morning.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family