SCS Carpets (Beckton) Service Nightmare

Options
lez5075
lez5075 Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 5 February 2016 at 8:36AM in Consumer rights
Hi,

I was wondering whether someone might be able to help please.

Before Xmas (2015) we ordered carpets for our house from SCS Carpets store in Beckton. A survey consultation was arranged first. Firstly they didnt turn up on the right day. At the time we weren't living in the house that we purchased since the previous vendors were still there and we hadn't completed our purchase until the new year. Nevertheless a survey was arranged and the vendors were ok with it. They turned up on the wrong day and turned up at the door at the vendors (who werent happy with by they did allow them to survey).

With that done, a date was then arranged for carpet fitting. They turned up on the day fitted the carpets. However they installed the wrong carpets in the bedrooms. Fitter explained it is not his problem however the manager of the store advised they need to send a survey around to inspect. But with ample samples (leftovers) and fitter who can prove the difference in the carpets installed, not sure why a surveyor is needed (which is taking up even more unncessary time).

The paperwork had the right description however someone from their warehouse picked up the wrong carpets and did the cuttings etc on it before the fitter collected from the local store on his way to us on fitting day.

Part of the problem also is the phone system at the store isn't helpful. The phone just rings and after a while cuts off. Their only explanation is that when staff are on the phone, it will cut off when other customers call. It can be a nightmare getting through to someone and only the store manager can handle complaints etc and no one else and even they are not always available or not in.

Our concern is where does this leave us? We are left stranded, we were supposed to move in a while ago and we can't put any furniture, beds etc in bedrooms until this is sorted.

Its been 3 days since we did manage to speak to the manager on the phone who promised to look into the matter but we still havent heard back from anyone.

I should also add that the store manager had advised me when I had spoken to him that he said it was not his fault but the manufacturers which I thought was a very unprofessional thing to say.

Any advise please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to pay a visit if you can't reach them on the phone and negotiate a discount if your willing to keep them, or demand they change them.
  • lez5075
    Options
    I tried yesterday but still no luck. The manager wasn't around and they couldn't help on eo fthe staff said and took my details down and said they will call once manager is around.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It all boils down to they fitted the wrong carpet.

You are entitled to what you ordered, or as Poppie68 says, negotiate a discount if you are prepared to accept the carpet that has been fitted.
  • lez5075
    Options
    Hi,

The problem is they still havent resolved it. We wanted to change it to the correct one ordered but they say the paperwork process is taking time because they have to claim from the manufacturer first before they then reorder, cut to size and then fitter can be booked. The process in total could take another 2 weeks the manager said.
    As a business they cant take a hit first they said.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's ok. You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts