Injured by a store worker

Options
A heavy built store worker knocked and pushed into me which caused my shoulder to ache and pain for sometime after it happened causing a temporary injury. The worker didn't even stop to acknowledge what they had done and just carried on walking past. No one in the store seemed to care.

I know it sounds minor but I was in pain well after it happened and even when I got home I was still aching.

What are my rights in this sort of situation?

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Did you report the accident to store management at the time and make sure it was recorded in their accident book ?

Do you have any witnesses ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • 2gorgeousgirls
    2gorgeousgirls Posts: 423 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2016 at 4:43AM
    Options
    I think you should contact a no win, no fee solicitor as soon as possible and sue the store.

Alternatively realise that accidental bumps are a fact of life so unless you were so badly injured that you were unable to work or had to be hospitalised, let it go.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A heavy built store worker knocked and pushed into me which caused my shoulder to ache and pain for sometime after it happened causing a temporary injury. The worker didn't even stop to acknowledge what they had done and just carried on walking past. No one in the store seemed to care.

I know it sounds minor but I was in pain well after it happened and even when I got home I was still aching.

None. Even if the store worker was careless it is too minor.

If you carelessly bumped into someone, and they said they were still aching by the time they got home, how much do you think you should compensate them?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Complain to the manager about his poor attitude, he should have at least apologised
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

you'll get a call one of these days 'about your recent accident', it will be a number that you don't recognise, but you will be told that you could be due £££s, so don't ignore it, answer the call.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Complain to the manager about his poor attitude, he should have at least apologised

He may not have even noticed that anything had happened to apologise. People bump into each other quite often and they don't always notice it happened.

We may get another poster on here later saying he was in work when a customer bumped in to him, they failed to apologise and now he is in pain. He may see it that op bumped into him and didn't want to be rude to a customer by pointing it out.

Someone stood on my foot on the bus the other day, it hurt a bit (and is the foot that has previously been broken so is very sensitive to pressure) the guy either didn't notice he'd done it, was embarrassed or just didn't care, whichever it was he didn't apologise and just got off at the next stop.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

I think the bit in bold needs more clarification.

Who did you approach 'in store'?
    What did they say?
    Did you ask for the accident/incident to be recorded?
    If you did, did they refuse?
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    About 5 years ago I was in Hamleys in London with my 5 year old son. On the top floor they display all the flying things and one of the staff was flying a pretty big helicopter. Unfortunately he had a problem and the helicopter dropped down straight onto my son. He had a small cut and was very upset, in fact he screamed the place down. The member of staff was absolutely horrified and couldn't have been more apologetic if he'd tried. Management came out and sorted him out with a plaster and were also hugely apologetic.

So what did I do about it? Absolutely nothing, it was an accident and I told the staff person not to worry about it. Friends of mine said I should have had some sort of compensation and I asked them why?
    Pants
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't .think I've ever been in a crowded supermarket without being "bumped" - think of all that lovely compensation I've missed out on.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I have quite a big handbag and someone turned the corner into it yesterday in Tescos. Better ready to solicitors for that? Maybe I can counter sue for wear and tear on my bag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure