MNBA sending texts for credit on old cards

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
8 replies 1.9K views
tchecking_278tchecking_278 Forumite
12 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Received a text out the blue last Tuesday from 03332076356 saying my account is in credit and requesting me to call for a refund.

I can't remember the last time I even used that card - think it was a one off purchase pre-internet banking in 2006 or sometime.

Well it seems legit as wary of a scam I've just called MNBA via their direct 0800 number and they have confirmed they will pay me £450 + - he even confirmed the other account holders name, which I'd forgotten

The guy on the phone said it was likely due to a direct debit issue? I have no idea this far back if that is true or not.

Googling the above number shows some others have had the same message.

As it's Sunday I was advised the cash would be in tuesday/wednesday.

I will wait and see, but there's a bonus, but I'm just not sure how it happened.

Replies

• planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    this is good news, but..
    he even confirmed the other account holders name, which I'd forgotten

pardon?
  • Hi - I meant I'd forgotten it was a joint card with my missus' name on it too - ha, not that I'd forgotten my missus' name.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ah yes, with you:D
    it seems genuine.
    always call them direct on a 0800 from mbna.co.uk or off the back of a card.. rather than calling a number that appears on a text, but other than that it seems like all good news.
    fwiw ive been an MBNA cardholder for 15-20 years.. and have done very nicely from them:)
    do you still have a card with them that you use?
  • I haven't seen that card or used it for years - I think I did a one off purchase (paying for a family flight rings a bell)

Anyway, just checked my bank account and the money has gone in - happy days.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    good. what card do you use for general spending?
  • I only got a few credit cards years ago to increase my credit score after reading if you didn't have one you were marked down - hardly ever used them (including this one from MNBA)

Debit card is used for all general spending.
  • bigadajbigadaj Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only got a few credit cards years ago to increase my credit score after reading if you didn't have one you were marked down - hardly ever used them (including this one from MNBA)

Debit card is used for all general spending.

If you don't use a credit card then there's no point in having one.

Rather than using a debit card you'd be better using a credit card and setting up a direct debit to pay in full, but still check your statement every month to confirm the transactions are correct.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    agreed. perhaps just retain/obtain 1 credit card that you can use for your essential spending, and clear in full each month.. that way you are repeatedly showing you can borrow & repay. and potentially earn some cashback/points in the process too.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals