MNBA sending texts for credit on old cards

Options
Received a text out the blue last Tuesday from 03332076356 saying my account is in credit and requesting me to call for a refund.

I can't remember the last time I even used that card - think it was a one off purchase pre-internet banking in 2006 or sometime.

Well it seems legit as wary of a scam I've just called MNBA via their direct 0800 number and they have confirmed they will pay me £450 + - he even confirmed the other account holders name, which I'd forgotten

The guy on the phone said it was likely due to a direct debit issue? I have no idea this far back if that is true or not.

Googling the above number shows some others have had the same message.

As it's Sunday I was advised the cash would be in tuesday/wednesday.

I will wait and see, but there's a bonus, but I'm just not sure how it happened.

Comments

• planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    this is good news, but..
    he even confirmed the other account holders name, which I'd forgotten

pardon?
  • tchecking_278
    Options
    Hi - I meant I'd forgotten it was a joint card with my missus' name on it too - ha, not that I'd forgotten my missus' name.
  • planteria
    Options
    ah yes, with you:D
    it seems genuine.
    always call them direct on a 0800 from mbna.co.uk or off the back of a card.. rather than calling a number that appears on a text, but other than that it seems like all good news.
    fwiw ive been an MBNA cardholder for 15-20 years.. and have done very nicely from them:)
    do you still have a card with them that you use?
  • tchecking_278
    Options
    I haven't seen that card or used it for years - I think I did a one off purchase (paying for a family flight rings a bell)

Anyway, just checked my bank account and the money has gone in - happy days.
  • planteria
    Options
    good. what card do you use for general spending?
  • tchecking_278
    Options
    I only got a few credit cards years ago to increase my credit score after reading if you didn't have one you were marked down - hardly ever used them (including this one from MNBA)

Debit card is used for all general spending.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only got a few credit cards years ago to increase my credit score after reading if you didn't have one you were marked down - hardly ever used them (including this one from MNBA)

Debit card is used for all general spending.

If you don't use a credit card then there's no point in having one.

Rather than using a debit card you'd be better using a credit card and setting up a direct debit to pay in full, but still check your statement every month to confirm the transactions are correct.
  • planteria
    Options
    agreed. perhaps just retain/obtain 1 credit card that you can use for your essential spending, and clear in full each month.. that way you are repeatedly showing you can borrow & repay. and potentially earn some cashback/points in the process too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure