PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Notice period blues (tenant side)

Options
Hi pals,

The notice period I am supposed to give my landlord is 1 month but I have already entered the last month of the '12 month fixed term tenancy', a week ago (23rd Jan).

It might be another week before I am able to confirm whether the next house I am going to move in has all the documents/process sorted and that's when I would be comfortable handing a notice to my landlord.

So, the 1 month notice I am supposed to give,
1. would it end on 30 days from the day I hand over notice OR
2. on 23rd Feb OR
3. on 23rd March?

What's the best thing to do if I do not want more than 1 week (the time I need to comfortably complete the move) to overlap between the current house and the next house so that I am not paying for two tenancies at the same time for more than a week?

Also, I do not want to shock the landlord with short notice but I also fear if I handover notice already today and my move into the next property is not cleared or delayed due to any reason, my landlord might evict me (is that a possibility)?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2016 at 2:41PM
    Options
    What day does your tenancy agreement start.

You don't have to give notice at all.

You can just move out on the last day of your tenancy agreement. However if you go one day over, you do then have to give a month's notice.

You could let your LA know your intentions.., as a courtesy.

I'm afraid having to pay for both properties if dates don't work out nicely is just something you will have to do unless the LL can be persuaded otherwise. That may be out of your control.

It will take a LL around three months or more to evict you. They would have to give a S21 (if they haven't already), serve out the two months notice in that, then apply to the courts for a possession order, then when the date of the possession order is up (usually a further two weeks unless u apply for an extension due to special reasons) they would have to apply for a bailiffs warrant. This process will cost you £390 as you would have to pay the costs.

I would advise you to ring Shelter or look on Shelter's website.., you don't really seem to know what you are dealing with.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The following advice assumes you are in England or Wales.

When did 12 month fixed term start? 24th January 2015 or 24th February 2015? If it's the latter then you don't have to give any notice at all as the fixed term ends at, well the end of the fixed term. (You do at some point need to let the landlord know you're leaving at some point though.) If it's the former then you now have either a Contractual Periodic Tenancy (CPT) or a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (SPT).

Check your tenancy agreement to see what it says will happen at the end of the fixed term. If it says nothing then you have a SPT.

See Ending/Renewing an AST for further information.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    taranjs wrote: »
    Hi pals,

The notice period I am supposed to give my landlord is 1 month but I have already entered the last month of the '12 month fixed term tenancy', a week ago (23rd Jan).
    then you do not need to give any notice. at the end of the fixed term your contract ends. that's what 'fixed term'means!

It might be another week before I am able to confirm whether the next house I am going to move in has all the documents/process sorted and that's when I would be comfortable handing a notice to my landlord.
    No problem. See above

So, the 1 month notice I am supposed to give,
    1. would it end on 30 days from the day I hand over notice OR
    2. on 23rd Feb OR
    3. on 23rd March?
    Notice given during a fixed term has NO legal force so is irrelavant

What's the best thing to do if I do not want more than 1 week (the time I need to comfortably complete the move) to overlap between the current house and the next house so that I am not paying for two tenancies at the same time for more than a week?
    Have an informal chat with your landlord once you know your plans, and arrange to hand back the keys.

Also, I do not want to shock the landlord with short notice but I also fear if I handover notice already today and my move into the next property is not cleared or delayed due to any reason, my landlord might evict me (is that a possibility)?
    You cannot be evicted before the fixed term ends.

And anyway, eviction requires a S21 Notice which takes 2 months.

The above all asumes you are in England/Wales.

Now read:

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
  • taranjs
    taranjs Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    This really helped a lot. Thanks everyone. I am now a confident tenant :)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    taranjs wrote: »
    This really helped a lot. Thanks everyone. I am now a confident tenant :)

What a relief.

We can now move on to the next problem.

A confident tenant eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills