Lead poisoning

Options
I moved as a tenant in a property in February, 2015 and since then I used to get dirty water every month. Despite repeated complaints, Severn Trent had not been able to resolve the issue other than asking us to flush the tap by running the water. By September, I was totally fed up of the grievance resolution process and it seemed Severn Trent is the least cared about my situation. However thinking of the 3 year old kid, I escalated the issue. (The land lord was kept aware of this, who always asked us to contact Severn Trent.)

It was then found out by Severn Trent engineer that we had old lead pipes running from the backyard into the house which was eventually replaced by the Landlord (after a lot of nagging) but it did an irreparable damage to me and my family. Me and my wife have been diagnosed with alarmingly high levels of lead in our blood. Please find the reports attached. We are yet to find the results for our 3 year old child and I am devastated to learn the side effects of lead poisoning:
- Developmental delay
- Learning difficulties
- Irritability
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Sluggishness and fatigue
- Abdominal pain
- Hearing loss

I would like to add that each time we complained about the problem we were just told to flush the water for sometime and it should be fine until I escalated the issue on 30th Sep.

I am not sure who is more responsible for this, the water company, the landlord or both?

What is the scope of claiming a compensation because this has taken a toll on my health and given me mental stress.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    So you were getting dirty water for a year and continued to use it?
  • Bordeuax
    Bordeuax Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    In the morning I run the tap for a couple of minutes but if you got a meter it might be pricey. maybe buy a water filter.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2016 at 12:45AM
    Options
    taranjs wrote: »
    I moved as a tenant in a property in February, 2015 and since then I used to get dirty water every month. Despite repeated complaints, Severn Trent had not been able to resolve the issue other than asking us to flush the tap by running the water. By September, I was totally fed up of the grievance resolution process and it seemed Severn Trent is the least cared about my situation. However thinking of the 3 year old kid, I escalated the issue. (The land lord was kept aware of this, who always asked us to contact Severn Trent.)

It was then found out by Severn Trent engineer that we had old lead pipes running from the backyard into the house which was eventually replaced by the Landlord (after a lot of nagging) but it did an irreparable damage to me and my family. Me and my wife have been diagnosed with alarmingly high levels of lead in our blood. Please find the reports attached. We are yet to find the results for our 3 year old child and I am devastated to learn the side effects of lead poisoning:
    - Developmental delay
    - Learning difficulties
    - Irritability
    - Loss of appetite
    - Weight loss
    - Sluggishness and fatigue
    - Abdominal pain
    - Hearing loss

I would like to add that each time we complained about the problem we were just told to flush the water for sometime and it should be fine until I escalated the issue on 30th Sep.

I am not sure who is more responsible for this, the water company, the landlord or both?

What is the scope of claiming a compensation because this has taken a toll on my health and given me mental stress.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your problem.

I really do think that if this is as you say "irreparable damage", any compensation is likely to be significant.

You need proper legal advice, not opinions from anonymous people on an internet forum.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What wealdroam said,

And ignore the inevitable flurry of unhelpful comments about to arise
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your problem.

I really do think that as this is "irreparable damage", any compensation is likely to be significant.

You need proper legal advise, not opinions from anonymous people on an internet forum.

Looking at the OPs other posts I'm not convinced on it. Put it this way yesterday he was worried he'd be evicted. Not sure I'd be bothered about being evicted from a house giving me lead poisoning...
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    Where are the 'attached reports'?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at the OPs other posts I'm not convinced on it. Put it this way yesterday he was worried he'd be evicted. Not sure I'd be bothered about being evicted from a house giving me lead poisoning...
    And in December it was council tax. Flat above a shop so can he re-claim CT paid?

And before that it was mice.........

Never mind worrying about eviction - this is a property to escape from!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A troll, but he will be fed, they all get fed.
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    What wealdroam said,

And ignore the inevitable flurry of unhelpful comments about to arise

Not looking good I agree! So what do you think now?
  • taranjs
    taranjs Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2016 at 6:20AM
    Options
    Appreciate all the responses.

@marliepanda - That was around once a month for ~6 months. We were made to believe by the ST guys that it's very normal and flushing should be enough until we decided to escalate.

One ST guy even said to the point, holding the water with sediments in this hands, "this has the right amount of chorine, I would not worry drinking it"

BTW, the problem with water is no more. (To answer your doubts on my credibility)

@wealdroam - Thanks! Do you have pointers where to start with? I just wanted to gauge whether what happened to me is quite normal to happen to people living in houses built before 1970 or is it really considered serious by other people, like I do.

@halibut2209 - Thanks but I have found most of the people helpful so far in this community.

@bris - I think I just found the first of the "flurry of unhelpful comments"

Attaching reports next, for the unconvinced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure