We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Windows Vista and Google Chrome.

13»

Comments

  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm on Vista too, not so much bothered about Chrome as I usually use Firefox.

    I've realised I will have to upgrade my operating system anyway next year, and I also don't want a clean install if possible.

    I've ordered a Win 7 "reconditioned" disc and licence from an Amazon seller in Germany. I believe this is from a computer which has been reconditioned, and a newer OS installed on it, making the Win 7 disc usable on a different computer.. It was £35.

    Assuming all goes well with the upgrade from Vista to Win 7, I will be able to further upgrade to Win 10 for free until July this year.

    I upgraded my vista to win 7, so chrome is working. I just can't do a windows update because of error 0x80070003, which I haven't managed to fix.

    If anyone knows, please let me know. I have tried few videos on YT but hasn't helped.
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    fixit_launchbanner.png

    Download and run above.

    Trry to Install Windows Update again.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    han2 thanks, done that no joy.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had similar problems on two Windows 7 machines recently... unfortunately I can't remember the error code I got, so I've no idea if you're having the same problem.

    But in my case I fixed it by manually installing KB3102810, uninstalling SP1, installing all relevant updates EXCEPT SP1, reboot, install SP1, install any relevant updates.

    At some point there was a problem with the Windows Update cache which meant that updates failed again. I resolved that by stopping the Windows Update Service, renaming the %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution directory, then restarting the Windows Update Service.

    Hope that helps...
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Downloaded System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 and fixed everything but took ages!
  • Vista is famously bad. I had it and ditched it very quickly. I appreciate that some people got it running and it does the job, but the overbearing knowledge is that Vista is not a good OS. Windows 7 is better, but if you are going to upgrade Windows then 10 is the best bet at this point. Myself, I went for Ubuntu Linux - I chose dual-boot so that I still had my Windows 7 install available, but it is not a year since I booted Windows - true story!

    In summary, upgrade from Vista at all costs. Easier now than later.
    To err is human, but it is against company policy.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.