Internet for 6 months

Options
Hi all,

I need a bit of advice I am renting a flat for 6 months and I am unsure what internet provider allows you to take out only a 6 month contract?

I also have no idea what exactly to look for I am a pretty average user who's trying to budget.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The usual problem is trying to get less than 12m line rental. Post Office? Do you have an existing active landline?
    Alternatively use a dongle and moble broadband.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • TheNewGuy_2
    Options
    The problem with the dongle is there's two of us and I am not 100% about the landline.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are in a 4G area, a dongle should be fine
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 January 2016 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Zen usually only require a 1 month contract on ADSL. If there is no phone line installed there will be connection fees and/or a longer minimum.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    A&A will do 30 day minimum term on broadband and on a phone line (£12/mo for the line, but. no voice service on phone lines that they supply, they are for broadband use only)

I use them as my ISP because they are good, but have my phone line with BT as I need a voice service. They are not cheap, don't appear on quidco / topcashback, don't offer M&S gift vouchers and don't haggle, so aren't very popular here ;)
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP couple of questions:
    1) do you have internet where you currently are? If so try ringing them and finding out how much you use.
    2) if either you or your partner currently have internet ask that company whether moving to a new location counts as being a new customer or whether it means the existing contract just carries on.
    3) if you don't have internet who is your mobile with? You can pay less to companies for broadband/line rental if you are already with them for mobile services.

Do you know if you are moving to fibre area :

I just noticed this https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/index.htm?cid=ppc-mec-auto/hqtqzju/lzvnylnty/qrnuo

You also might want to look at http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/contract/broadband-no-monthly-contract
    or http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/short_contract_broadband/

Of course these are often not well known providers.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    TheNewGuy wrote: »
    The problem with the dongle is there's two of us
    You don't need a dongle. Just put a data SIM into an unlocked/same network phone and use the portable hotspot facility, which is usable by several devices at once.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Or a MiFi device if you dont want to use a phone. You can often get them cheap with a sim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure