Moving home fuel quote

Options
loobiloo
loobiloo Posts: 151 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am moving from a 3 bed house to a 2 bed flat; how can I compare fuel quotes ahead of time? My current usage presumably wont be relevant to use as a basis for the quote? Thank you

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,119 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Your existing use may be a good place to start but just because you are going to a smaller place does not mean your bills will reduce.

Your flat will probably be electric only - is your house gas heated, double glazed, cavity wall, roof insulation.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • loobiloo
    Options
    Thanks Robin
    My flat has gas and electricity, not double glazed as its listed and double glazing not allowed, it's a basement flat so roof insulation not relevant, dont know about cavity walls.

Surely a much smaller flat would be cheaper to run than a bigger, less energy efficient house?
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Why is your current (pattern of) usage not useful? It is an order of magnitude more important than other factors.

Even if the guess you use is off it is not likely to be that significant - a few tenners short from what would have been optimum over a year will still be less than wasting a few tenners each month until you obsessively have an in situ accurate but still estimated estimate of future usage.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As you don't know what you'll be using you'll have to estmate - or make a guess. What you are already using would be reasonable

Most people use around 3200kwh/yr for leccy and 13500kwh a year for gas as a starting point and that's roughly what an energy company would do as well so your guess is as good as theirs.

If your place is all electric then it's more complex depending on the type of heating you've got, whether you are on an Economy 7 tariff and how you use it. Also bear in mind that all your hot water & cooking will be derived from electricity rather than gas so you'll need to increase the electricity consumption to compensate and to apportion your consumption to peak & off peak rates if you are on E7.

There's no reason why you cant estimate 3200kwh as peak rate and about 12000kwh for your off peak as a starting point (electricty is 100% efficient whereas gas isn't).

That will give you figures to put into comparison sites and enable you to compare costs and zero in on a reasonable tariff. It's then up to you to make sure that you monitor your consumption & bills to ensure that they are in line with your estimates and that your direct debits are covering the costs. Make sure you read the meters at least monthly and don't accept any estimated bills - get them corrected immediately.

Spending 10-15 minutes a month checking your bills, readings and bank statements to make sure that everything is correct could save you months of aggro in the future.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Your flat will probably be electric only
    Agree with your first paragraph but a big 'eh?' to this.
  • loobiloo
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Why is your current (pattern of) usage not useful? It is an order of magnitude more important than other factors.

Even if the guess you use is off it is not likely to be that significant - a few tenners short from what would have been optimum over a year will still be less than wasting a few tenners each month until you obsessively have an in situ accurate but still estimated estimate of future usage.

Yes my current usage is relevant, I agree
  • loobiloo
    Options
    The flat is not all electric, gas heating, oven. No Economy 7 but high spec renovation so I imagine its energy efficient.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Flats and bungalows are inherently less efficient, as heat rises and heats the property above to some degree, which in a house would heat the upper floor or floors. If you are in a first floor flat or higher, that is counteracted to some degree by heat rising from the property below. In a basement flat, you won't get that benefit, and you'll get less heat from sunlight-so a higher rate of heat loss due to the greater temp differential.
    So start with your existing kWh usage as a benchmark. Remember that you'll be in a deemed tariff with the existing suppliers from day one..
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • loobiloo
    Options
    Thanks Macman
    This flat has soundproof ceilings so perhaps that might stop some heat, as well as noise, rising. I'm currently with First Utility who have quoted a cheaper deal than I have with them now. Perhaps as a loyal customer they might do me a further discount by staying with them...

By the way, though it is a basement flat it has huge windows that do get sun, so that may well help too.

All this of course is based on the assumption that we will indeed exchange soon, as was meant to happen last week, but that's another rant for another forum....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    loobiloo wrote: »
    Thanks Macman
    This flat has soundproof ceilings so perhaps that might stop some heat, as well as noise, rising. I'm currently with First Utility who have quoted a cheaper deal than I have with them now. Perhaps as a loyal customer they might do me a further discount by staying with them.....

Under OFGEM licence regulations, suppliers are not normally allowed to offer customers a 'one off' discount for loyalty or anything else. The one exception that I am aware of is Ecotricity which gives EV owning customers £40 off the bill. It was given a derogation by OFGEM to encourage EV take up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure