Is someone stealing my electric?

Options
Jmoo
Jmoo Posts: 342 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Some of you may have remembered my wangle with the landlord to get an Economy 7 meter fitted in my flat as my bills were rather high. Finally the landlord caved in, and today the meter was fitted.

However it's left me with another conundrum, someone else within the block has complained their electricity was cut at the same time mine was off.

The electrician was confused, he said the switch was flicked off for this particular flat, and when he looked those wires attached to that meter didn't go anywhere.

It could have been coincidental, but now I'm at a loss about what the next steps are if there is a connection. Am I paying for someone else's electric?

Comments

• warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Turn off your electric and check with the other flat.
    Pants
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Switch your flat off again and see if the same person complains again
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It is quite common for properties converted into flats to have the problem of wiring feeding from one flat to another. I suspect this is usually due to incompetence of the workmen during conversion, although it could be malicious.

As you now suspect this is a possibility, it will be easy to check. Switch off everything in your flat including Fridge/freezer and see if you meter moves.
  • Jmoo
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    It is quite common for properties converted into flats to have the problem of wiring feeding from one flat to another. I suspect this is usually due to incompetence of the workmen during conversion, although it could be malicious.

As you now suspect this is a possibility, it will be easy to check. Switch off everything in your flat including Fridge/freezer and see if you meter moves.

So essentially switch off stuff in my flat, but not at the actual meter? It's always been flats, so not actually converted, but yeah I'll have a look tonight.
  • Jmoo
    Options
    So I can't see any drastic changes since I left it this afternoon - I'd consumed 1KwH since it was put in at 3.30. I probably need to wait until I know the person is in to do this test.

What I can see is the tube to my meter is also feeding Flat 87 and 71 as well as mine. The difference with Flat 87 is that they have no meter connected, whereas 71 does. Could this explain it at all? How is he getting electricity with no meter, yet complaining his has gone off?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    turn off your flat when the other person is home, and make sure the meter isn't going round, or light pulsing.
  • Jmoo
    edited 26 January 2016 at 8:54PM
    Options
    I turned off everything at the "mains" part of the 'starbreaker' within my flat, and I can confirm the light was still flashing every minute but presumably this could be normal?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jmoo wrote: »
    I turned off everything at the "mains" part of the 'starbreaker' within my flat, and I can confirm the light was still flashing every minute but presumably this could be normal?

If you're not using anything then the meter should not flash.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Jmoo
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    If you're not using anything then the meter should not flash.
    I read it can do that if you don't leave it long enough.

I'll have to speak to my letting agent again. SSE confirm my neighbour are not on a meter, so how would they be getting electricity unless it's through me?!
  • Jmoo
    Options
    I turned it off again this morning and there was a constant red light on 100A - I read that might mean there's no electricity?

The worrying thing is it says on my display for total "00033" kWh and "00016" for both rate 1 and 2. This seems ridiculously high for 15 hours?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure