Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

Distrust of Co-Executor plus Capital Gains Tax query - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Distrust of Co-Executor plus Capital Gains Tax query

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
129 replies 16.3K views

Replies

• RAS wrote: »
    if you get no joy and the banks are demanding lots of money for duplicate statements, ask advice on a Subject Access Request (SAR). These cost £10 and the bank have 42 days to produce everything that they have relating to the subject, in any format. I think that as executor of her estate, you should be able to do a SAR for mum's accounts.
    Always worth asking but don't forget the subject is deceased so the Act does not apply.
  • Thank you RAS - very useful to know...
  • bingaling wrote: »
    Thank you FreeBear - that is exactly what we asked her for - 7 years of statements - it's down to the solicitors to get them now...

Through our search of lost bank accounts in Dad's name as well as using the Experian UAR service, today I have received letters informing a couple of accounts that sister has not declared on her original spreadsheet that she put together... One of them with a form to cash it in -(it does not state a value though) should I do this now and declare it on our estate statement or wait?
    Advise bank of the situation and ask them to freeze it until probate is obtained.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bingaling wrote: »
    Thank you Mojisola for confirming this as well. It has confirmed that what we demanded from her is correct. She keeps insisting that because IHT or CGT is NOT payable that we don't need the docs - we informed her regardless as to whether it is or is not, that we still need the info.

She has had so many chances, it is now in the hands of our solicitor as well as other bodies we need to contact to get to the bottom of this.

the executors can't know if there is any IHT without going back 7 years(many don't bother).

Also you need at least 2015/16 tax year to do the income tax return from April to DOD and the previous years tax return as well is handy to check that was done right(if HMRC wanted one).
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and Yorkshireman99, thank you, we will of course take solicitors advise, what I meant is that is it OK to share our findings with the forum...

Always worth puting things past people they may highlight options and questions you might want to raise with the solicitor.

Also the people here would really appreciate followups as it it usefull to have real cases to refer people that follow.

there may be the odd think you want to keep under wraps for a while untill things pan out.
  • Yes - thank you getmore4less - we are building our case and indeed keeping things under wraps which will come out when needed. We ceased all verbal contact with them yesterday and requested that if they wanted to contact my hubby, to put it in writing which again we will not respond to either until instructions from solicitor. I have all their written correspondence in support of our case and will use when needed.

I will of course update...
  • RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - thank you getmore4less - we are building our case and indeed keeping things under wraps which will come out when needed. We ceased all verbal contact with them yesterday and requested that if they wanted to contact my hubby, to put it in writing which again we will not respond to either until instructions from solicitor. I have all their written correspondence in support of our case and will use when needed.

I will of course update...

I can't add anything in the way of advice I'm afraid, though the quality of that already given on here is fantastic. I did, however, want to voice my good wishes to you bingaling.

It's an awful situation in which you find yourself. Bereavement does often bring out the worst, most vulture-like, traits in a person and your sister's appalling behaviour must be extremely distressing, quite apart from the loss of your father.

I am glad that you are finding the right sort of support and guidance on here, and also that you are wise to what is happening whilst there is still time to act upon it. There was a long-running thread from a while ago in which the OP's brother had been robbing his father blind for years, but there was nothing that anyone could realistically do to recover even a part of it.

I wish you all the very best, and that you are able to see this right through despite what comes out of the woodwork. I think your father would be very proud of you. x
  • Heart felt thank you RuthnJasper - your kind words have touched me x
  • It must be very hard to do but you have done the right thing. Thirty years ago I was able to help someone in a similar case. As someone once said "Where there is a will there is a greedy relative." Best wishes in getting it sorted.
  • Thank you Yorkshireman99 for your kind words and all of your help...
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support