Paving over a lawn?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
3 replies 3.3K views
fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
9.2K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I've got an area of lawn in my back garden that's around 4 by 3 meters which I'm thinking about paving over.
There are soil areas to the side of the garden I can use for planting so I won't be left with a totally slabbed over space, and the lawn is pretty patchy and currently used as a communal toilet for all the neighbouring cats, so I think I'd get a lot more use out of it if I paved it over.

Am I right in thinking I would need to remove the turf, level the soil, spread a layer of sand over and then lay the slabs on top?
Is there anything I've missed?

Replies

• edited 21 January 2016 at 6:11PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2016 at 6:11PM
    Depends on how firm the soil is and how heavy use you want the patio to be. You may need to compact it and / or put down a sub base of agregate. http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm
  • wrightkwrightk Forumite
    975 Posts
    paving expert is the bible as far as im concerned

you will need to use a subbase/803/20mm to dust/MOT type 1 (whatever its called where you live). 100mm ideally but 75mm is adequate for light use, level and compact with a whacker plate then lay your slabs on top. I prefer the mortar method than just laying on sand although the options for laying,pointing etc are endless

Take your time and read through the site carefully and pickup some ideas

I did a slightly bigger patio than yours a couple of years ago using the advice on the site and there is nothing moving that patio for a long time
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What he said ^
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals