Before I apply for a water meter .......

do I apply for it with my water supply company only? Our water company is Portsmouth Water and sewerage is with Southern Water but I can see both sites have the 'apply for meter'. Do I need to apply to both?

Also I did the calculation on ccwater page as recommended by Martin and according to that, will save nearly £400 per year but that is compared to the annual sum of my monthly sewer and supply bills. I hope I have worked that our correctly!
:heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:

Comments

  • Who do you pay your bills to? That organisation should be your first port of call.

    We have two people in house and three bedrooms and saved a lot by having a meter installed.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 January 2016 at 8:59PM
    Cookiepops wrote: »
    do I apply for it with my water supply company only? Our water company is Portsmouth Water and sewerage is with Southern Water but I can see both sites have the 'apply for meter'. Do I need to apply to both?

    Also I did the calculation on ccwater page as recommended by Martin and according to that, will save nearly £400 per year but that is compared to the annual sum of my monthly sewer and supply bills. I hope I have worked that our correctly!

    You might want to double check the figures.

    Although it asks for how many times you use a dishwasher it doesn't ask how many times a week you hand wash dishes so you need to enter a figure there for the number of times you hand wash dishes instead. i.e I entered 7 even though I don't own a dishwasher. A dishwasher technically saves water over hand washing so you would think entering a figure would lower the overall usage as washing dishes usage is supposed to be included under the number of occupiers but it increases it which is incorrect.

    If you've got a high flow power shower you might want to enter the number of showers you have under the number of times you have a bath instead as power showers use just as much water as a bath. An electric shower though doesn't use as much as a bath.

    If you get a figure of around 55 cubic metres per person per year for a house then that's closer to average. If the figure is significantly lower then I would question why the figure is so low. My estimated usage comes out as 48 cubic metres per person per year and the reason it's below average is that I live in a flat and have no outside water usage.

    edit: oops forgot to type per person thanks matelodave...
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,577
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The calculation should be closer to 55cu.m per person, rather than per house.

    You apply for a meter to the company that supplies your water. They pass the readings onto the sewerage company.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • I did over estimate our useage slightly on all accounts and it came out at 104 cubic meters (there is 2 of us) so I think that roughly correct? I pay 2 water companies - £42 per month to Southern Water and £18 per month to Portsmouth Water.
    Thats why I dont know who I should be applying to for the water meter?
    :heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cookiepops wrote: »
    I did over estimate our useage slightly on all accounts and it came out at 104 cubic meters (there is 2 of us) so I think that roughly correct? I pay 2 water companies - £42 per month to Southern Water and £18 per month to Portsmouth Water.
    Thats why I dont know who I should be applying to for the water meter?

    Apply to the one that supplies your water.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It depends on a number of factors.


    1. If you have 6 kids, your property is rundown with a large garden and a low RV and you water the garden a lot, then a meter is probably not for you.


    2. If you live alone in a mansion with a high RV, then you are probably better off with a meter.


    3 In any case if you have guessed wrong, you have 12 months to revert back to being charged on your RV.


    You apply to Portsmouth water. They fit meter and inform SW about sewerage.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    It depends on a number of factors.


    1. If you have 6 kids, your property is rundown with a large garden and a low RV and you water the garden a lot, then a meter is probably not for you.


    2. If you live alone in a mansion with a high RV, then you are probably better off with a meter.


    3 In any case if you have guessed wrong, you have 12 months to revert back to being charged on your RV.


    You apply to Portsmouth water. They fit meter and inform SW about sewerage.

    Great, thanks. The only thing that did put me off getting a water meter sooner is we now have a large garden and was unsure of how much water we were using on the house but we now have 6 large water butts and had a wet summer!! I think having the option of changing back in 12 months helped me decide to go for it
    :heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards