Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only ever seem to post about chips on this thread.

As well as the Aldi 'french fries' which can oven cook up to very close to McDonalds chips (*), the Aldi 'Homestyle Coated Chips' (in the green and yellow bag.) also seem nice. I think they are OK in comparison to McCains. They are a bit more of a 'chip shop chip' while the McCains homefries come out a bit more 'restaurant', if that makes sense to people. But, they are nice. I've often been disappointed by oven chips. I also can't be bothered cooking with oil these days, so it's good to expand the brands I find good. I'm not sure that the Aldi chips are that much of a bargain however, as the bag is small. I haven't done the numbers, but suspect that McCains bought in bigger bags during a X% free promotion could be competitive or even better value.

For both sets of chips I cook them cooler and longer than recommended. But, my oven does seem to cook hotter than the recommended temperature.

(*) I haven't eaten these for decades after McLibel. My memory may be fuzzy.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Lidl's Baywood Fruity Rose Wine - absolutely lovely. Really fruity, not too sparkly, lots of flavour. Can't remember what I paid for it but it would have been cheap!
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Bought this on your recommendation LadyDee OH and BIL enjoyed it so much last night that they drank the second bottle I had bought 'just in case'. Definitely worth looking out for thank you. :)
    Now I'm interested! Is it sweet, medium or dry?

Eta: notes it's not even 6.40am :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 October 2016 at 5:13PM
    Options
    Ha ha now that is an early start VFm! Sorry, he isn't in tonight but I'll ask and report back for you.
    Edited to add: Just checked bottle, it's graded a 4, 1 being dry and 5 being sweet. Described as 'lightly refreshing in character for an easy drinking style' the men obviously thought so, although I wouldn't describe them as connoisseurs! ;) HTH.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 702 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Just bought some of Aldi's Brasserie Premium French lager today.

10x 250ml bottles for £3.25. Good price. (Labelled in-store as £1.99, but that's another story, with the incorrectly placed price labels in the Cambridge store)

But then you get the pack home and notice it is now 4% alcohol. This was previously 5%, then 4.8%. At 4%, it's hardly "premium" any more.

You need to switch to the 8x 250ml of Sainte Etienne which is similar to the old stuff at £2.99.

Ridiculous how they call it premium at 4%, it is way too sweet now. I might as well drink Galahad for less.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi 6x Kiwi Fruit. This came with a little plastic tool for peeling the Kiwis. It has a spoon end and a knife end. It is incredibly effective - you use the knife to cut the Kiwi skin, and then use the spoon to slide between the skin and the fruit.
  • d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Aldi 6x Kiwi Fruit. This came with a little plastic tool for peeling the Kiwis. It has a spoon end and a knife end. It is incredibly effective - you use the knife to cut the Kiwi skin, and then use the spoon to slide between the skin and the fruit.

My family and I actually eat the kiwi skin, you get more fibre and vitamin c but the tool is ideal if you can't bear to eat the hair!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    d0nna wrote: »
    My family and I actually eat the kiwi skin...

Really?! What does it taste like?

I'm asking you rather than going into the kitchen and trying some. ;)
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robrymond wrote: »
    Ridiculous how they call it premium at 4%, it is way too sweet now. I might as well drink Galahad for less.

I buy premium orange juice that have 0% alcohol. I'm not saying that it hasn't decreased in quality, it might have but "premium lager" means very little and certainly has little to do with alcohol percentage and is more supposed to indicative of a better quality product.
  • d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Really?! What does it taste like?

I'm asking you rather than going into the kitchen and trying some. ;)

Ha ha. It doesn't really taste of much when you eat it with inside. Try it, you might like it!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    d0nna wrote: »
    Ha ha. It doesn't really taste of much when you eat it with inside. Try it, you might like it!
    I would imagine it's like chewing on hessian :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure