Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nice pics.

I got some of the Lidl live Lettuce at the weekend, 69p on special offer. Delicious and so fresh (well it would be). Good value, too, you get a lot in each pack.

454726.jpg?v=1

Also the Lidl Skyr Vanilla flavour (375g for 99p) that was mentioned previously is very nice - perfect with fresh fruit.
  • VeGGie-STyLe
    VeGGie-STyLe Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    ^^ I love the pic with the aubergine to drive the point home :D

Glad of the recommendation though, I'll give them a try. How I hate a woody avocado.

Couldn't do without the token aubergine!

Not a hint of wood, just creamy fresh deliciousness :) Quality seems to vary a lot between stores though... I had low expectations because the skins were a bit blemished and dented, but am happy to be proved wrong! So I guess you shouldn't always judge an avocado by it's skin ;)
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Nice pics.

I got some of the Lidl live Lettuce at the weekend, 69p on special offer. Delicious and so fresh (well it would be). Good value, too, you get a lot in each pack.

That is a glorious looking lettuce! I don't have a local Lidl, but I wish my local Aldi sold the equivalent. Or at least had SOME lettuce in stock when I visit... or some that isn't leaking brown goo...
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That is a glorious looking lettuce! I don't have a local Lidl, but I wish my local Aldi sold the equivalent. Or at least had SOME lettuce in stock when I visit... or some that isn't leaking brown goo...

I'd never heard of live Lettuces before I first saw them in Lidl. But presumably other supermarkets must sell them?
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was in Lidl today they had a litre of proper froggy Pastis for £16:99 it's very nice.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 July 2017 at 11:56PM
    Options
    It's not actually food (well, not yet!) but Aldi shoppers who grow their own should make a bee line for Aldi's liquid tomato and vegetable feeds. The former is an alternative to the very overpriced Tomorite, the latter is a liquid 'growmore', suitable for general use.

These are priced at £1.89 a litre and are very considerably cheaper than the equivalents you will find in garden centres. Under UK (and ROI) law, the percentages of usable feed in a fertiliser have to be declared on the packet, which makes it child's play to compare one with another - there is no room for fiddling or wriggling and no magic formulae, whatever certain heavily advertised brands might wish you to believe!

I am fairly certain these two are made by Doff (the long established garden products company) and they are a steal at the price.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought a bunch of Asiatic lilies in Lidl a week ago. They are now nearly all out and they are stunning. The living room is filled with their perfume as well. Can't remember how much they were but it wasn't much :D
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't read the Lidl/Aldi threads much as our market town doesn't have either.:(. It's an occasional visit when we are out and about.

We are moving in a few weeks to even further into the wilds of Devon and the nearest market town has 2 supermarkets (apologies to Co-op which I don't like) - Waitrose and Lidl :D. Looks like I'll be a regular here.

Has anyone tried Lidl's fresh chicken breasts? Chicken is one thing I don't mind paying a bit more for as I've had some really bad experiences with very cheap stuff.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Buy chicken from Lidl and it's always been fine, apart from one lot last week. Had it in the fridge and opened it on the use by date and it had definitely gone off

It went in the bin
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Options
    I've had not problems with fresh chicken in Lidl or Aldi.

Those that I haven't liked (from other places mainly) have been the frozen chicken breasts injected with salty water.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 5:56PM
    Options
    Absolutely no problems with Aldi chickens here and I sometimes buy two a week (one for feline consumption).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure