🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can I get a free family solicitor?

Options
What I am looking for is a cheap family solicitor. Failing that, a student solicitor who will help me for free in court. Does that exist?

My ex girlfriend is causing me real problems. She has stopped me seeing my daughter for over four months now. It was her birthday today. I went to my ex's house to take her some presents.

I let her know a week ago about me visiting to give my daughter her presents.

When I got to her house today, her dad chased me away with a spade in his hands like a maniac.

Me and my ex had a fight four months ago. She was attacking me. Tried to stab me with a pair of scissors. I punched her once quite hard flooring her.

No police have been involved. My ex is on tag for twelve weeks for a previous assault on a taxi driver. The police have been called about her attacking me before, although I never pressed charges.

She has three assault convictions. Two convictions for using threatening behaviour. One for shoplifting. One for possesion of class A drugs. Two for damaging property and is on bail for fraud.

She never gets a prison sentence. She uses her mental health condition to get away with it. Her whole family cheat the benefit system. The dad who chased me today has been off sick for fourteen years with back trouble.

These people are mastsers of the system. I need a solicitor to beat them. I want full custody of my daughter.

Comments

• SeasidePeter
    Options
    Don't criticize me for hitting a woman. I threw a single punch. Under the circumstances it was self defence. She was the aggressor. The punch was hard enough to stop her from attacking me, giving me time to get away from her. If she wants to fight like a man. Prepare to take a punch like a man.
  • Corelli
    Corelli Posts: 664 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a nearby university with a legal department, try them. Our local university is proud of the help their legal students have given to the community.

VEGAN for the environment, for the animals, for health and for people

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~Albert Schweitzer
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    This begs the question, errm, why did she attack you in the first place?
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 17 January 2016 at 4:28AM
    Options
    Why do you not want to pay for a solicitor to apply for full custody of your daughter ?

If you really can't afford a solicitor (have you even got a free half hour of advice so far ? Most solicitors will offer this) then can you afford to support a child ?

Have you seen your daughter in the last four months ? Are you paying child support ?

If your girlfriend is living with her parents so has good support- even with documented mental health issues that might be considered by the courts a more supported enviroment than living with you . How involved you are with your child is something they take into consideration - hence me asking when you see her and about child support.

It might be worth considering what is better for your daughter - living in a home with grandparents and her mother and you having proper access with her staying with you weekly or taking her away from the home she knows to live with you. Just wanting custody isn't enough -If the child is happy, fed and clothed etc courts don't usually want to uproot a child.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    You need to stop the violence your end, doesn't matter what she does.

It will go against you, put aside what she has done, and what her family are doing, you need to be seen as whiter that white, you will not get your daughter back, and also think of what message you are sending your daughter, even if she hasn't seen any violence she will obviously of heard conversations between family members about you.

Doesn't matter if you think she deserved it, DV is a serious thing, just walk away, regardless always walk away.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 17 January 2016 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Don't criticize me for hitting a woman. I threw a single punch. Under the circumstances it was self defence. She was the aggressor. The punch was hard enough to stop her from attacking me, giving me time to get away from her. If she wants to fight like a man. Prepare to take a punch like a man.

Boasting about committing violence like this would for most courts be the end of the matter. Mother with MH issues but family support versus Man who thinks smacking a woman is OK - Game over Mum keeps custody and Dad would get supervised access only.

If it truely was self defence why didn't you report the original attack to the police ? That's where your story would fall apart at a custody hearing.

If you punched a female relative of mine I'd come after you with a shovel too- I can't stand bullies . Did your daughter see you attack her Mum btw ?

I note you didn't ASK if you could drop off presents but TOLD your ex . Sounds rather like you expect her to make herself available when it suits you.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How old is your daughter?
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I am looking for is a cheap family solicitor. Failing that, a student solicitor who will help me for free in court. Does that exist?

No it doesn't exist, you tend to get what you pay for. So if you value your relationship with your daughter, pony up or find another way to find the money. £250 an hour is about average.

Would you trust a mechanic or electrician that didn't charge or did the work for beer tokens?
    (unless a friend)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

My ex girlfriend is causing me real problems. She has stopped me seeing my daughter for over four months now. It was her birthday today. I went to my ex's house to take her some presents.

I let her know a week ago about me visiting to give my daughter her presents.

When I got to her house today, her dad chased me away with a spade in his hands like a maniac.

Me and my ex had a fight four months ago. She was attacking me. Tried to stab me with a pair of scissors. I punched her once quite hard flooring her.

No police have been involved. My ex is on tag for twelve weeks for a previous assault on a taxi driver. The police have been called about her attacking me before, although I never pressed charges.

She has three assault convictions. Two convictions for using threatening behaviour. One for shoplifting. One for possesion of class A drugs. Two for damaging property and is on bail for fraud.

She never gets a prison sentence. She uses her mental health condition to get away with it. Her whole family cheat the benefit system. The dad who chased me today has been off sick for fourteen years with back trouble.

These people are mastsers of the system. I need a solicitor to beat them. I want full custody of my daughter.

I feel rather sorry for the child in all this.

To answer your question the criteria for getting legal aid are listed here.
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes you read threads on here and you think I hope this is made-up.

• Child (age not specified) with a mother who's taken (possibly still taking..) drugs, got convictions for violent behaviour and is mentally unstable.
    • Granddad who's also violent.
    • Dad who's not averse to punching a woman's lights out.

And these are the people the kid's going to learn from..

If any of this is true never mind a cheap lawyer, I hope someone calls social services and gets that child put into care for its own safety :(
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family