Have oil heater, extension lead plug smells of burning - advice?

For about two years, we've had an oil heater which has been used quite a lot the last two weeks due to the cold spell.

Today, I noticed the one plug extension cord was quite warm. I took everything out and the plug had like a "burning" sort of smell - say burnt plastic.

What would you advise? I've a spare heater in my room as back-up, so would it be wise to retire the current one or change plugs?

Thank you.

Comments

• lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What rating is the 1 plug extension cord, and what is the heater rating?
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • I have no idea what the rating is on the one plug extenion cord, but the heater is 1500KW, 230-240 Voltz. I've smelt the heater plug and no burning smell with that.
  • lovesgshp
    I have no idea what the rating is on the one plug extenion cord, but the heater is 1500KW, 230-240 Voltz. I've smelt the heater plug and no burning smell with that.

Is it a thin cable to the heater on the extension, or a heavy duty one?
  • It's a fairly thickish one in black. The heater is fine, it's just the extension cord that's the concern. It's been smelling funny for a while, so I always thought it was the heater and it has been on a high setting.
  • The extension cord is a standard white one.
  • lovesgshp
    You need to check the fuse rating on the extension, plus make sure it is not coiled around, as that would generate excess heat in the coils.
  • 5 amp in the plug. Not coiled. I have just noticed (I've been there nearly four years), that there is a cardboard plug description on it - could that be part of it.
  • Adding to that, the plug does smell still but it's faint as opposed to it with the cardboard description
  • lovesgshp
    You need to have at least a 10 amp fuse and a rated cable, for what you need. 5 amps is not enough.
  • Thank you. That's fair enough from what I can gather. I mean would it be all right to use the heater on it's own in the socket?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure