Budget tyres or Premium tyres?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Horizon81 wrote: »
    And fill it with supermarket petrol and get those immigrant car washes! Makes you wince to see a £40k car queueing for Asda's 99p petrol then going to the kurdish-car-wash for an industrial blast with some lorry cleaner.

Supermarket fuel is all there is these days...

There is no Texaco, Esso, Shell, Fina, BP etc in this whole region.

Should I go electric ;)
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    The best tire you can afford a budget tyres is better than bald premium tyre.

On a similar vein, dont some places recommend changing tyres at 3mm rather than let them go down to legal minimum? Sure I read ambulances etc its 3mm and they get changed.

Wonder how a premium tyres under 3mm but still legal compares to a brand new plenty of tread budget tyre?
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • McClane54
    McClane54 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    Realistically, how much of a difference is there?

Surely, all tyres meet a minimum i.e. safe standard or they wouldn't be allowed to be on sale?

Not talking about pushing the car to the limit such as cornering as fast as possible, just talking about sensible driving. Not interested if I can go through a corner 0.25 secs faster with better tyres etc.

Generally, I guess, will the tyre not cause car to skid when stopping in the wet etc. Will it slide on ice in a corner.

Just remember the tyres are the only thing that keeps you on the road! budgets are awful in doing that!

top end will be great but mid range will be ok . never buy budget, if you value your life!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    McClane54 wrote: »
    Just remember the tyres are the only thing that keeps you on the road! budgets are awful in doing that!

top end will be great but mid range will be ok . never buy budget, if you value your life!

I may be wrong but can I add to that?

Tyres do part of the job but what about thinks like Electronic stability control, traction control, LSDs, diff locks on 4x4s etc.

Previous cars have had one or more of the above but my current daily has none of that, VW Fox, and is very noticeable in poor conditions like ice/snow. Good winter tyres help stop one wheel spinning madly but could really do with something clever to assist traction.

Agreed it all starts with good tyres :)
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »

Should I go electric ;)

Where's that then? Sounds like trolley-jockey heaven!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 January 2016 at 4:03PM
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    Where's that then? Sounds like trolley-jockey heaven!

Scotland, obviously just the region I stay in ;)

Okay, there is a Jet station but has a pricing policy that will see it doomed now that ASDA is along the road...

There is also a SPAR, no idea what fuel it sells but makes Jet look cheap :eek:

Cheers
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »

Should I go electric ;)

All fuel comes from the same refinarys anyway no matter if it's a supermarket or BP station the only difference is a small amount of additives. The only time you will get a difference in fuel is if you get a different RON rating such as in Tesco Momentum.
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    All fuel comes from the same refinarys anyway no matter if it's a supermarket or BP station the only difference is a small amount of additives. The only time you will get a difference in fuel is if you get a different RON rating such as in Tesco Momentum.
    please- no more fuel debates
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What make & model of car do you own? That has a bearing on the sort of tyre you need.
    Do you check tyre wear occasionally? With the engine running and handbrake on so as to operate power steering, turn steering wheel to almost full lock one way, then check tyres on the exposed side. Repeat with other wheel. Is there wear on the inner or outer edges of each tyre?

If so, steering needs tracking at a responsible outlet. Wear on inner edge: steering is "toeing out" Wear on Outer edge: "toeing in."

If there is wear on only one front tyre, that could mean a steering or suspension fault on that side.

Whatever car I drive, I would never fit a "Budget" tyre. If steering and suspension has no problems, wear should be over the whole of the tread, over a period of time. When I have new tyres, I choose the best for the car and I always ask for the steering to be tracked. My tyres always last at least 3 years.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    McClane54 wrote: »

Yep, I die regularly with my Evergreen fronts and Landsail rears. Must be at least a dozen times in the last year. It was icy this morning and I killed myself 4 times and other road users twice just on the way to work!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure