Junior ISAs - cash and stocks/shares

Options
Hello!

Hopefully a quick and easy question for someone!

I currently hold a cash Junior ISA for my child. Is it also possible to also have a separate stocks and shares ISA with a separate provider and split the contributions across the two accounts (subject to the annual allowance)?

I know this is possible with adult ISAs but if I remember correctly you can only open one ISA per tax year so suspect this is the same for children?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here's the rules for JISAs, taken from the official ISA Guidance Notes
    18.1.4 A person with parental responsibility for any eligible child (or the child themselves if they are aged between 16 and 18) can apply to open a JISA and become the registered contact. A child can hold two types of JISA

 a stocks and shares JISA, and
     a cash JISA.

Unlike ‘adult’ ISAs where the investor can open and subscribe to new ISAs in each tax year, a child can only hold up to two JISAs (no more than one of each type) throughout their childhood (although between ages 16 and 18 they can hold one of each type of JISA plus an ‘adult’ cash ISA). However, no child is required to hold either type of account. They may have no JISA at all, or only one type of account.
  • ilikecookies
    Options
    Perfect! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills